Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife got me both Renegade hinge mount mirrors, (Link Here), and rugged ridge relocation brackets, (link here), for my birthday.

Now, I don't have much use for both of these and was wondering what product I should keep. On one hand I like the idea of relocating my existing mirrors to the body of the Jeep. One issue is my OEM mirrors are chrome that I plastidipped black and the DS mirror itself is cracked down in the bottom right so replacing them would be nice. I do understand in some cases it is hard to see the mirrors when attached to the brackets.

My issue with the hinge mounted mirrors is I'd like the ability to just take the doors off at will, put them aside and go, not having to monkey with re-installing the mirrors every time. Also I'm not sure of their stability in the wind.

My question is, if you have either of these types of mirror setups or both, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I tried the hinge mount mirrors on my YJ when I 1st removed the hard doors. They serve the purpose, I guess. But since I am a trucker by trade, they absolutely suck if you are in the habit of always looking at them. They vibrate and wiggle almost constantly while at highway speed.

I ended up going with a custom set of tube doors with half door mirrors mounted on them. Only cause I found out after a little bit of hell raising in town that it is illegal in the state of Pa. to be "doorless".

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,071 Posts
Only cause I found out after a little bit of hell raising in town that it is illegal in the state of Pa. to be "doorless".
tell that to all the UPS drivers I see driving through my neighborhood.

on a serious note.....doorless driving in PA is illegal??? There go all my fantasies of my eventual Jeep ownership:jawdrop:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought one of these and dont run door mirrors at all. I can see everything out the back and sides with one mirror and never have to worry about switching doors or mirrors. I love it and way cheaper than any set of jeep mirrors or brackets.
How did you mount this scukfan?

·
Registered
199 Posts
it comes with a bracket for each end. i spent 5 bucks on two glue kits and glued the brackets to the windshield just like a regular mirror. i will see if i can find a picture of it

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a monster of a mirror to be sure. I'm more concerned with cops not giving me crap though. I use my ds mirror all the time, but my PS mirror very rarely. I could legally run with no mirrors but my oem rear view in my state and be fine, but I'd rather not give anyone reason to stop me.

Also to be clear, I already have the brackets AND a new set of hinge mounted mirrors, my wife bought both, so I probably won't be purchasing any additional equip.

I put the ds hinge mount mirror on yesterday and went for a drive, my main concern was it shifting backwards into the wind, which it didn't at 80mph, so that's a plus, but the vibe was definitely there. I may try installing the hinge mount mirror on the DS and take it for a spin and see how I like it, presuming I can get the butter, er, I mean, torx bolts out.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I had the windshield cj style and absolutely hated them. Vibrations from hell couldn't see through them if the top was on because they sat too far forward. I plan on buying the hinge ones because we have to have them in mi to be legal, DS anyways.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just get the Quadratec door hinge mirrors if you plan on taking the doors off

I will admit that huge mirror posted above is cool, but the windshields already pretty small heh, I have to lean over the wheel and look up to see traffic lights already :)

Here are some hinge mounts

Olympic 4x4 Products 117-124 - Olympic 4X4 Products Safari Mirrors for 76-15 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-7 & CJ-8 Scrambler, Wrangler YJ, TJ, JK & Unlimited - Quadratec
Right, like I said I already have both the brackets and hinge mount. the hinge mounts I have are similar to the ones in the above link. It's ok, but kind of shaky.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
fab-ri-ca-tion .....so ugly it's beautiful.

100_6288.jpg

half inch, galvanized steel
shopping carts cringe in fear.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Rust-oleum Gloss Protective Enamel

100_6290.jpg

painted them in the hopes of re-entering civilized society.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rust-oleum Gloss Protective Enamel painted them in the hopes of re-entering civilized society.
How do they do with vibration at highway speed?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had the brackets for relocating the OEM mirrors to the A-pillar on my TJ. I liked then a lot, the mirrors just stay in the same place with doors or without so you don't have to mess with them every time you take the doors off. Also a lot easier to handle the doors when removing them since there's no protruding mirror to get hung up or bumped on anything while you're moving it.

The only downside, and to me this wasn't much of a concern, is that with the uppers on (I had half doors), your view of the passenger side mirror is obstructed a great deal. Not sure how bad it is with the full doors.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How do they do with vibration at highway speed?
:funnypost: Jeez man, the paint is still wet. :D

I will be using a couple of rubber washers on each side and tightening everything down with 'man hands'. I don't expect half inch steel pipe to give me no vibration problems.
The 25 year old heap may vibrate at speed but the mirrors will be rock steady.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts