Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 that I'm getting ready to send to the body shop to get resprayed in the original Black color, and also address some minor rust issues. One issue I have is that several of the hinges are rusty, and I'm thinking it will be easier to just replace vs. trying to sand / repair the ones on their now.

To that end, I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to replace all hinges with:
  1. Stainless and paint them black to match
  2. try to get the black powder coated stainless ones (e.g. the ones from Kentrol inc)
  3. or get new steel ones and just paint them
We're planning to keep this Jeep a long time, so I don't want to have to address this again. However, I'm concerned about the ability to get paint to stick to stainless (aka peeling later on) and I want this to look nice for the wife. With the black powder coated hinges, I'm not sure all the YJ hinges are available from the same company, and I don't want a bunch of different shades of black on this either. Any thoughts on what might be the best option?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I would take em off, clean em up w a wire wheel, and spray/ sand a couple coats of high build primer...
Nothing beats the quality of factory hinges...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts