Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 09' jk two months age I noticed it made a hissing sound when I start it in the morning . It only happens on the first start of the day . I checked the oil when it first happened and the oil level was good . Since then the noise still happens 98% of the time . When I checked oil recently the oil level was more than a qt. low. There are NO leaks. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hissing may come from a exhaust leak, water pump or heater core? Unfortunately your one of the hundreds of people who have the JK Oil Burner problem. I see post after post with this same issue. Search the forum and look for older post. I think some people had luck with using Oil Additives and Heavier Weight oil. You can slow the oil usage down but may not be able to completely stop it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I bought my 09' jk two months age I noticed it made a hissing sound when I start it in the morning . It only happens on the first start of the day . I checked the oil when it first happened and the oil level was good . Since then the noise still happens 98% of the time . When I checked oil recently the oil level was more than a qt. low. There are NO leaks. Any help would be great.
Scroll down and check out the "Oil Disappears" thread. Helpful Info in it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Im assuming if it was exhaust leak it would happen all the time . Do you have ant idea what those problems would csot to repair if not covered by warranty. Is synthetic a good idea to use instead?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the input. Im assuming if it was exhaust leak it would happen all the time . Do you have ant idea what those problems would csot to repair if not covered by warranty. Is synthetic a good idea to use instead?
Well I'm not a motor person but can tell you that I would not run synthetic. I change my oil every 3K miles. Most people running synthetic can go up to 6k or more before it's time to change oil. In your case if your adding a quart every few weeks then I would not see the point in doing an oil change or using synthetic. The type of oil and weight you use should be your choice. If I had the issue I would try 5 quarts of your brand oil with 1 quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. As far as the parts and labor go for your noise issue you have I'm not sure the cost on repairs. If it's under warranty I would definitely take it in. IMO a dealership is better known as a Stealership. I've recently had some bad experiences with them. But as mentioned in earlier post just browse the the forum and you will see several people with the burning or loosing oil issue. Someone may chime in and have a quick fix for you. In my experience burning oil with no leaks means worn out rings on your pistons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. I read the post you suggested and got more info. I will look in to my warranty. I got jk at Toyota dealer and got extended warranty . I think I'm going with 10w/30 and additive to see what happens. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts