Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving on a road that was being worked on and hit a good sized pothole the jeep immediately lost power engine shut off Dash gauges all off position. Called a friend to tow me home tried Turing the key forward and putting it in second gear engine sounded like it was running while he was towing me home but gauges didn't move everything was like if it was off. as soon as I took it out of gear and into neutral I lost the sound of the engine running.
Starter WON'T crank fuel pump isn't engaging Dash isn't showing anything or moving, the only thing that is working are the headlights and the hazards. don't have a radio or ac Jeep is a 1998 Tj SE just replaced sparkplugs, distributor cap, plug wires. Battery is basicly new. Tried to Jump it with cables and nothing tried tapping the starter nothing. Any help and information would be much appreciated. I've had a stressful week this is the last thing I needed..
Fearing the worst
:rip:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Well first off relax.. whatever it is will be minor.... first check the power cable from the batt to the pdc (fuse box under hood) then check all of the fuses and ground wires.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Headlights and hazards normally work with the ignition off. If those are working, the battery/connections are fine, and the Jeep isn't seeing the ignition state. If you hit hard enough to bounce your leg up to the keys, or have a heavy keychian, it might have snapped off/bent the little pin in the ignition cylinder. Sometimes jiggling the key, or pressing up/down a bit as you turn it will get you going short term, but the ignition cylinder would have to be replaced long term if that's what it is. Something to check at least.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would guess that a battery or ground cable was knocked loose. check both battery cables, remove them and clean also. then run down the ground cables and remove and clean them. my jeep did the same after hitting a small pot hole. found than I had not tightened the battery cable well enough and it just lost connection. Its my understanding that jeeps will not run if they do not have battery power. good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well first off relax.. whatever it is will be minor.... first check the power cable from the batt to the pdc (fuse box under hood) then check all of the fuses and ground wires.
I'm praying to God it's something minor she's my daily and I start work tomorrow... I only have three strikes and I'm out... Being late is a half strike.. Hard to relax when my main and only vehicle is down. But your right I need a cool head to solve this issue. Will be checking the wires and fuses right now. I left the battery disconnected over night
Thought it will reset the issue or something..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Headlights and hazards normally work with the ignition off. If those are working, the battery/connections are fine, and the Jeep isn't seeing the ignition state. If you hit hard enough to bounce your leg up to the keys, or have a heavy keychian, it might have snapped off/bent the little pin in the ignition cylinder. Sometimes jiggling the key, or pressing up/down a bit as you turn it will get you going short term, but the ignition cylinder would have to be replaced long term if that's what it is. Something to check at least.
I've have that issue before with heavy keys bouncing around and messing up my ignition switch, had it replaced before. I just weighed my current keys and it came out to 95. Grams or 3.39 Oz's hella light compared to what I had before but is that enough to mess up the ignition switch?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would guess that a battery or ground cable was knocked loose. check both battery cables, remove them and clean also. then run down the ground cables and remove and clean them. my jeep did the same after hitting a small pot hole. found than I had not tightened the battery cable well enough and it just lost connection. Its my understanding that jeeps will not run if they do not have battery power. good luck.
My Jeep is standard. Wouldn't it be able to run without a battery? Push or rolling start?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
My Jeep is standard. Wouldn't it be able to run without a battery? Push or rolling start?
I have heard that the alternator needs a good connection to the battery "to run" (I have not tested that theory myself).

I would go with Tricky's advice and clean the battery posts and battery cable connections. A weak connection often can power accessories, but won't have the juice to start the engine or keep it running.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do these TJ's have a fuel shut off switch? One time I Hit a hard bump in my 96 cougar and it triggered my fuel shut off switch. killed the car immediately and took me a while to figure that one out.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Nope that's a ford thing... inertia switch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was driving on a road that was being worked on and hit a good sized pothole the jeep immediately lost power engine shut off Dash gauges all off position. Called a friend to tow me home tried Turing the key forward and putting it in second gear engine sounded like it was running while he was towing me home but gauges didn't move everything was like if it was off. as soon as I took it out of gear and into neutral I lost the sound of the engine running.
Starter WON'T crank fuel pump isn't engaging Dash isn't showing anything or moving, the only thing that is working are the headlights and the hazards. don't have a radio or ac Jeep is a 1998 Tj SE just replaced sparkplugs, distributor cap, plug wires. Battery is basicly new. Tried to Jump it with cables and nothing tried tapping the starter nothing. Any help and information would be much appreciated. I've had a stressful week this is the last thing I needed..
Fearing the worst
:rip:
I had a similar incident with my motor-home hit a large pothole awhile ago and it turned out that the connector to the computer came loose. Hope this helps!

Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The weird thing is I've hit holes and ditches before offroad. I've hit them hard enough to really shake the Jeep and losen up the rear pinion seal. But thats on the dirt which is softer that asphalt and concrete. I've even rear ended a minivan in the rain but my plastic front bumper modification saved my front end from that collision. Can't say the same for the minivan... I'm thinking it has to be something electrical like lose wires some where. I have the teardown handbook with the wireing diagrams. I have a voltmeter but I'm no electrician or mechanic...

·
Registered
437 Posts
The weird thing is I've hit holes and ditches before offroad. I've hit them hard enough to really shake the Jeep and losen up the rear pinion seal. But thats on the dirt which is softer that asphalt and concrete. I've even rear ended a minivan in the rain but my plastic front bumper modification saved my front end from that collision. ..
You really need to stop this type thing. We can't work with you if you are dead. Can't work with zombies.

I'm thinking it has to be something electrical like lose wires some where. I have the teardown handbook with the wireing diagrams. I have a voltmeter but I'm no electrician or mechanic...
Now you're talking. Download the wiring diagrams for power distribution and grounds. See where you are getting power and not getting power.

As was mentioned above, emergency flashers, headlights, brake lights, etc should work. Think safety related.

Anti theft systems have been mentioned in situations where the Jeep disabled itself. Got one? I don't so I don't know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You really need to stop this type thing. We can't work with you if you are dead. Can't work with zombies.

Now you're talking. Download the wiring diagrams for power distribution and grounds. See where you are getting power and not getting power.

As was mentioned above, emergency flashers, headlights, brake lights, etc should work. Think safety related.

Anti theft systems have been mentioned in situations where the Jeep disabled itself. Got one? I don't so I don't know.
I know I need to slow my roll.. And take more preventive actions.. I haven't wheeled it off-road in a while since those incidents.
she's been a point a to b daily for school and where ever i need to go store, friends house etc. Current status "Pavement princess"
I had just filled out some paperwork yesterday for a job and this happened on my way home..
Was planning on buying a Cherokee or liberty as a daily after gathering up some money after i start working but now the issue is finding out what's up with the TJ so I can start to even work!
I'm pretty sure I've died multiple times already. But the Lord won't let me rest in peace..
I'll try not to be a zombie anymore..
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue to me. Definitely something electrical. I would start at the battery and go from there, checking all your connections.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Do these TJ's have a fuel shut off switch? One time I Hit a hard bump in my 96 cougar and it triggered my fuel shut off switch. killed the car immediately and took me a while to figure that one out.
Having started both a TJ and a JK very soon after them having been upside down, I can confidently say "no"...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today the fuses and relays have been checked they're ok.
Ignition switch is good too.
Tried turing the key and arcing the starter with a screwdriver it cranks but engine won't turn on.
Nothing still with the gauges no signs of power.
Took off the plastic airflow tunnel from the carb. And looked inside no fuel.
If I arc the starter it won't turn on since the fuel pump isn't engaging.
I don't think it's the fuel pump because my gauges still don't move. It has to be something else...
Been looking at the wires can't see anything out of place still looking for anything out of the ordinary...
Any ideas guys?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts