Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all. Got rear-ended in my beloved JK recently, then hit again from the side. 2016 Willys 2-door. I’m waiting to hear back from the inspection but would appreciate any perspective you might be able to provide.

I’m not sentimental about much… except my Jeep. I’ve read here that even if fixed, it would never drive the same. I’d be interested to hear if anyone has had a different experience with a similar level of repair.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Assuming you carry collision coverage on your Jeep I’d wait and see what your insurance company says about whether or not your rig is repairable or a total loss then go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, @tobeman7. I do have collision insurance. Was just crossing my fingers that someone could provide thoughts based on their expertise / experience. I’m antsy to hear back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A lot of times a vehicle needs to be torn down by the shop to see everything that is damaged in order to determine how much damage is actually there. It make look worse than it actually is or there could be some hidden damage. Unfortunately, you’ll have to try and be patient. 24 years of experience working with auto insurance claims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of times a vehicle needs to be torn down by the shop to see everything that is damaged in order to determine how much damage is actually there. It make look worse than it actually is or there could be some hidden damage. Unfortunately, you’ll have to try and be patient. 24 years of experience working with auto insurance claims.
Makes sense. I’ll just need to be patient. Thanks again for your POV.

·
Retired Moderator
104,341 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
If the repair estimate is 70% or more of the value of your Wrangler, then they will most likely total it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey y’all. Got rear-ended in my beloved JK recently, then hit again from the side. 2016 Willys 2-door. I’m waiting to hear back from the inspection but would appreciate any perspective you might be able to provide.

I’m not sentimental about much… except my Jeep. I’ve read here that even if fixed, it would never drive the same. I’d be interested to hear if anyone has had a different experience with a similar level of repair. View attachment 4528879
View attachment 4528880
View attachment 4528881
View attachment 4528882
View attachment 4528883
View attachment 4528878
Just like an old family dog that you love, sometimes you have to put it down - currently enjoying spoiling the shit out of my 16 year old dog, waiting for the sad day I have to put take her to the vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just like an old family dog that you love, sometimes you have to put it down - currently enjoying spoiling the shit out of my 16 year old dog, waiting for the sad day I have to put take her to the vet.
Great analogy. Wishing you many more years with yours!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anything can be fixed, it just depends on how much you want to spend. If it has enough sentimental value where you're not going to have to worry about recouping it when you sell then go ahead and fix it. If you don't have an attachment then get rid of it.

The fix doesnt look bad if the frame is straight. Most jeep panels are easy to access for metal massaging.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
It looks like there is a crack in the hard top to the right of the back window. That could be an issue. There is a hardtop for the 2Dr still listed on Mopar sites - 1PJ03TZZAK. It has the note "paint white as needed" on one site. You may have to go with a painted hard top, if the rest of the damage is not too bad.

Ask around among your friends about the body shop. Depending on your insurance (and I would let your insurance co handle it) they may dictate a body shop. I know when I had a buzzard strike, USAA sent me to a particular body shop. They did a great job and I didn't have to get estimates. But they were uninterested in a straight paint job on my TJ. Body shops make more money fixing and replacing panels.

Normally, if the other party is at fault the other parties insurance company handles the claim. However, keep in mind that they work for the guy that hit you, not you. Your insurance company on the other hand works for you. You will probably have to pay the deductible until your insurance company collects from them. It's called subrogation.

I mentioned USAA as my insurance company. I have had great service from them and they have always taken care of my needs over the years. I have a friend whose son was hit by someone insured by USAA. He does not think highly of them at all, he basically was on the other side of the table. It was an older vehicle and they paid him only the wholesale value of the car which was a lot less that it would take to fix it. Dealing with your carrier will be a lot less stressful on you as well.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was heart broken when my TJ was totaled out. I was in a Cherokee almost two years before getting back in a wrangler.

I worry about the rear axle but that’s just from the photos.

Good luck keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
Insurance adjuster report will probably reveal a lot more than your photos show. And with tbe parts shortage it might make any major repair a lengthy journey. When I had recent corrosion repair on the Jeep the body shop forman was sweating they wouldn't encounter thru-going corrosion, or overwork the panel because of parts shortages.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I hope no one got hurt. Hard to tell from the pictures, but with the crazy prices of new and used vehicles these days, unless the frame/undercarriage is severely bent I don't see them totaling it. The airbags didn't deploy, they're very costly so you might be getting it fixed. Parts delay, that is another story. It will be in the shop for longer than usual is my bet.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
517 Posts
I do understand that insurance inspectors (or whatchummacallem) are professionals, but I'm with zipman35, the axle might be shot, and depending on energy, transfer case and tranny prolly also got hit. How hard, dunno.

If the Jeep survives the inspection, make sure those were checked out properly.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I do understand that insurance inspectors (or whatchummacallem) are professionals, but I'm with zipman35, the axle might be shot, and depending on energy, transfer case and tranny prolly also got hit. How hard, dunno.

If the Jeep survives the inspection, make sure those were checked out properly.
Good point, they usually go over them pretty well. They also will figure in for junkyard parts for an axle, doors etc. Transfer cases and transmissions are another story, they don't want come backs, so they might go for re-manufactured which is more than junkyard parts. The only thing I think that might save the OP is the insane prices in the used car market. OP start looking up dealership retail prices for your vehicle in your area, in the event they try and low-ball you if the vehicle is a total.

Reactions: White Elemant

·
Premium Member
'17 willys wheeler
216 Posts
i have a 17 willys, sorry to see all the damage. sucks, but the obvious applies in all car wrecks, walking away unhurt, hopefully is it just cosmetic damage

what does an insurance company say a 16 jeep is worth right now, while used car prices are at an all time high? this thread reminded me i was going to call my insurance agent out of curiosity. dealer called a few months ago and made what i thought was a ridiculous offer. buy it from me for what i paid for it. went on carvana, and got an offer a bit higher. odd times we are in

·
Registered
510 Posts
@dlivry7 . Because of variations by state, insurer, and coverage limits, i would contact your insurance company to find out how they determine value. It varies.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts