Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a cargo carrier for my Wrangler Unlimited Sport. It is a 2012, 4 door.

"Cargo carrier" is one label that I have seen. Receiver carrier is another. Cargo basket is another. Basically I need a 500 LB capacity platform that extends from the back of the Jeep.

I am pretty sure that this mean that I need a towing receiver hitch also.

(No I am not an advertiser for this store)... A local store has the following:

Jeep Receiver Hitches

Am I driving down the right path with the products posted on the web page above at the local shop? I have seen other products from Smittybilt in the $800 range. That is a bumper, receiver and tire rack all rolled into one.

May I please have recommendations? What about brand? Olympic and Smittybilt are two that I see pretty frequently.

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
Btw, the link won't work for me.
Also, I've had the carrier for over a year and have had absolutely no problems with it

·
Registered
7 Posts
We got a "Thule 665c Transporter" hitch cargo box just before the holidays.

We purchased it to use on our Wrangler but the only time we have used it so far was on our 06 Jeep Liberty. It cleared the exterior spare on the Liberty but I'm not sure if it would clear the exterior spare on a Wrangler without an extension. We don't have a hitch on our Wrangler yet.

The box cost $467.95 with no delivery or tax from Amazon.com.
It has a lock on it and comes with both trailer lights wired in and a lighted license plate mount. With where I live and travel there was no way I could drive blocking my plate or lights and I wanted to be able to lock it for some "discouragement"

My experience with it amount to one 3 day trip 550 miles 90% highway, 10% rural half in heavy rain. It was delivered in good shape, and was easy to put together. Looks well made and everything including lights work fine. One person can put it on a vehicle. It didn't leak or squeak or block rear vision. It mounts to the hitch with bolts, not a hitch pin and I think this help it ride better. Overall a good choice and should last a long time if you don't mind the cost.

Thule*-*Cargo Carriers for Hitch

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a steel one that I picked up for $50 lightly used. I haul all sorts of things on it, firewood, garden stuff, trash barrels, coolers....... ANYTHING!

If you hunt, camp, fish or just enjoy doing lots of things, a hitch carrier is a must. They offer a wide range of load carrying options.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Binmack...when you get the Transporter installed on your JK/JKU, can you post some pics?

Thule*-*Cargo Carriers for Hitch[/QUOTE]

Also, for a JK/JKU, you'll may be OK for tire clearance without an extender if you go with the Hidden Hitch hitch - it's longer than the Mopar, smittybilt, etc. hitches. I've seen it used over on JK Forum.

It's somewhere in this thread.
Hitch Cargo Racks? Which one works best with JK?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have this one as well and it works great.
With this Harbor Freight aluminum one, can you still open the tail gate with it installed? The aluminum one appears to have taller side walls, so I am concerned with having to remove it every time I want to open the tail gate.

Obviously if I have the carrier loaded, the cargo will interferre but that is understandable. Also how much does the spare tire interferre with loading the carrier? Can anyone snap a pic?

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
the harbor freight one works well for the money. just like the pics in the thread, you can open the tailgate without anything loaded.

i have one. used it with my TJ also, even "bumped" in a traffic accident, aside from a little lean, it still works great. i wouldn't recommend those cloth bungees though. mine wore out quickly, especially with the sun and rain in florida. buy those all rubber marine bungees.

-bob :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thread resurrection - if there's a post superseding this one please link it.

Is the consensus that the harbor freight model is still good bang for the buck? I'd like to buy once cry once. I'll pay more for durability and functionality. If all things are pretty much equal though I'll go less expensive.

Cabela's has one on sale for $79ish in this week's flyer - steel and 500 lb. capacity hence the question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone? I can't believe someone doesn't have some input or should I take it that nothing revolutionary has superseded the models discussed?

·
Registered
991 Posts
well I got the Alum. HF one.I was worried about the weight and the fact the steel ones are usually covered in rust in a few years.

Mine is great except 1 issue. I couldn't open my tailgate with it installed. was about 1/2 to an 1 too tall.

Other than that, I have used it to move (in addition to a truck) haul a dresser, carry suitcases from KS to FL when the Jeep was filled with people. Cant complain for $79.

Wait for a sale and use the 20% coupon that is everywhere - but even at full price it was worth it to me

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Gotta ask....isn't the max tongue weight around 200 lbs?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Gotta ask....isn't the max tongue weight around 200 lbs?
probably, but how much are you really going to carry back there and for how long?

On my trip to FL with the heavy suitcases and stuff, I could feel the front end being light, was not fun on such a long trip. On the way back I loaded differently and put as much weight as I could over center in the one open seat (didn't think I would need to for the little weight I was carrying on the way out there).

For the others, they were short trips a few blocks and it worked fine - exactly the reason I purchased mine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good info, thank you.

Is there an exhaust shield available for this? Seems like reviews on the HF site indicated there was - anyone use it or find it's not an issue?

Thanks again folks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts