Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to search but came up empty. How much weight can I realistically safely carry in a hitch mounted cargo basket? Ideally looking to carry an ice chest which loaded to the max may be 150 pounds. I found tongue weight but since the basket extends out you have a ft lb calculation. 2018 Rubicon if I can make the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks! I overthink most new things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. Do get yourself a hitch stabilizer if you are going to put much more than a lawn chair on it though. They are a little cumbersome since by design they aren't quick disconnect, but it really made a difference on mine. Here is the rack I got. It has the tie downs for bikes or you can fold them down and stack stuff on top of them. Hitch Rack And here is the stabilizer. Hitch Stabilizer Both are working great for me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I went with an aluminum rack, I got a great deal from Q'tech on theirs. It is light and a nice size. Weights 28 lbs and advertised to hold 300
Aluminum cargo carriers are light-weight, great for light-duty usage and don't rust. Got to watch out for some products from HF but this one bolts together nicely. The HF aluminum cargo carrier is nearly 50% less with coupon and has a 500lb rating.

92655_W3.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Niece and Nephew gave me something like this decades ago for Christmas and it has served me well. I like the raised mounting so you don't drag it over things if you are off road. The ones that stick straight out drag. Of course you cannot open the tailgate with it installed but you can't do that either with your cooler mounted LOL:

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-l...aPuCFei2t94KrzkddUxsPLpU80aNQ4NBoCf_gQAvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Just don't do what I saw done once (wish I had it on camera)

On I-91 in Vermont, a Grand Cherokee pulled over by a state trooper because they had an ATV loaded in their hitch cargo carrier, with the front wheels resting on the tailgate!

·
No Whining now....
255 Posts
I found one of these on Craigslist. I think I paid $20 and have used it on other vehicles without issue. Haven't used it on the Jeep (yet).
Hitch-Haul Universal Cargo Carrier — 19.25in. x 60in., Model# 30110208

I did stick two red reflectors on the back just to avoid running against overhang laws and be a little safer. At about $5 from a local hardware store, I didn't even have to drill any holes!

No whining now...

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Aluminum cargo carriers are light-weight, great for light-duty usage and don't rust. Got to watch out for some products from HF but this one bolts together nicely. The HF aluminum cargo carrier is nearly 50% less with coupon and has a 500lb rating.

View attachment 4169825

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html
I saw this one, but I liked the Q'tech one's design better. The 'floor' panels are bigger so there are fewer and smaller gaps.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have one of those raised angled up carriers from Walmart, works fine but needed to shim a washer into to keep the wiggle down. I usually carry 10 gallons of water or a ice chest. One warning anything back there will get nasty with road grime, dust and wet. Mine needs to be painted as some rust. Pretty handy at times.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I too have the Harbor Freight aluminum carrier but I connect it using a 12” extension cut down and redrilled to about 8”, I think, and modified a bit to allow tailgate to open fully.
Modified means I took 3 of the rails, 2 short and one closest to Jeep, and lowered them 1”.
It has worked great for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the HF aluminum and I love it except for one flaw. (I'm not a fan of steel, they're harder to put on and take off and steel eats up some of your weight carrying capacity.)

The flaw in the HF one is it's about 3/4" shy of 4ft wide. I.e., slightly too small to hold two 2ft items side by side. :blackeye I use those Rubbermaid (actually I think mine are the knockoff Sterilite from WalMart) stacking tubs, and in order to get them to fit I have to put a tall one on one side and then a short one just baaarely squeezes in on the other side with its rim resting on the tray rim. So, just one more inch and the tray would be perfect.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Does wonders for the departure angle, btw.

I haven't used mine in over a decade if anybody wants to trade me a case of beer for it.
North Georgia. The aluminum one that @aggrex has.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I have a short extension that I also use so the rack is pushed back a bit. This allows more room to work around the spare tire.
One caveat: Don’t load so high as you block your turn/stop lamps. I was loading bags of mulch at the local hardware store and had the rack pretty full before I realized I’d stacked the bags higher than the signals. :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I got one on Ebay. A few suggestions.
1. Get an extended hitch receiver
2. Get one that can be folded up
3. Put some lights on it.

The extended hitch with a basket that folds, allows it to be folded up when it is installed and clear the rear spare. This is good for a couple purposes. People not paying attention driving behind you when it's not loaded up with gear are less likely to run into it. With that said, my wife had someone rear end her with mine in the folded up position when the other driver slid on ice. The basket survived, no damage to my JK...the hood of their vehicle, didn't do so well. Also if you go camping and use it for camping, folding it up prevents people walking in the dark nearby your vehicle from stumbling into it and hurting themselves.

You can get an inexpensive 5 function LED firing strip, typically made for truck tailgates and it fits and mounts pretty easy onto the basket. Just plug the lights into your trailer light hookup when in use. The lights really help protect from distracted drivers behind you from running into it. They tend to back off more when they notice the lights come on.

Here's a detailed write-up I did of my install of the basket. I've had it going on 9 years now.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-...o-basket-rear-tail-lights-147224/#post1887433

It holds up to 500lbs. I find it to be really handy. Firewood, coolers, Deer, going to Home Depot to pick up wood/house repair supplies, large screen TVs that don't fit inside the cabin, etc. The last time I used it was about 2 months ago to pick up a 8750W generator from HF. Trying to put that inside my cabin would have been a nightmare, not to mention the interior damage I'm sure it would have caused.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts