Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much for my hitch. I had a feeling the plate that bolts up to the rear frame wasn't thick enough.

I've only had this hitch on my TJ for about 9 months and have never towed heavy up front, always 60/40 split on the trailer axle and never had more than 250 on the tongue.

Your thoughts???

I purchased it through eBay from e-autogrilles. I'm very disappointed and glad I made it home ok because if anyone is familiar with the Grapevine on I-5 it's not a small or easy hill to climb and decent from....

Should I bother contacting them??

Right side -

Left side -

Mounting bolts -
Even these looked short and were tightened up with an impact wrench!!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
What was the tongue weight on the trailer? What is the bumper hitch rated to tow? I notice there are no frame tie ins. My guess is that you will be told it is for accessories only, and not rated for towing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
That looks like a Chinese import bumper... looks good at first but then its flaws start showing up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tongue weight on the trailer is always between 160-200 lbs but never more than that.

The amount that I'm towing is roughly 1600lbs and, single axle, 5X10 enclosed trailer. As far as what the hitch is rated for, I don't know but I contacted the eBay store e-autogrilles and in almost certain they will give me the bullsh*t response saying "accesorie only, not meant for actual towing" which is BS as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You should consider yourself lucky. I'd have never considered carrying/towing anything with that flimsy plate. Buy a receiver or high quality bumper w/tie-ins if you want to tow.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree with Jerry. Even that hardware looks too short and not locking in the nylocks. Probably lucky it didn't come right off...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm EXTREMELY lucky actually. It's a 350 mile trip one way from San Jose to LA and anything could have happened. Now I know better and can warn others to stay away from that Chinese crap!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Like others said, alot of those bumpers with the built in receiver are not rated for towing and are accessory only. Check the manual and make sure you purchased one rated for towing.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Tongue weight on the trailer is always between 160-200 lbs but never more than that.

The amount that I'm towing is roughly 1600lbs and, single axle, 5X10 enclosed trailer. As far as what the hitch is rated for, I don't know but I contacted the eBay store e-autogrilles and in almost certain they will give me the bullsh*t response saying "accesorie only, not meant for actual towing" which is BS as far as I'm concerned.
Why is that BS. As indicated, very few hitch bumpers are actually rated for towing including ones from major manufactuers. It's not that they probably cannot strength wise but it probably costs a lot to to certify a hitch or bumper and then there is liability. No offence, if I were planning on towing, I search for on that was rated.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Jeep's rear cross member that the bumper is bolted to isn't up to the task for towing either. It is a thin weak stamped piece of metal, and not really your actual frame. As others have said, any bumper rated for light towing must be tied into the actual side frame rails.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do feel its BS. Why build a "hitch" when it's not meant to tow? It's as though I were selling bottled water but stating "not for actual drinking" doesn't make sense....

Nowhere does it state "not for actual towing" ANYWHERE on the instruction sheet OR on the listing.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have never heard of a trailer hitch that you can't tow with, makes no damn sense. I would not think you could sell something like that. What if it's on a used car that someone buys and wow it has a trailer hitch that I can use. Sounds like BS to me.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I run a tow-rated bumper from Jeeperman. It's an older version of the one they currently offer here: Jeeperman: TJ/YJ/CJ Swing-Away Tire Carrier

A little pricy but, I bought it because it's tow rated, ties into the frame rails in a couple of places on each side and it uses automotive tapered wheel bearings in the hinge and a really large post so the swing away operates very smoothly and it will never fail even with the weight of a 35 inch tire on it and it won't corrode closed like some of the really cheap hinge designs out there. But you can't buy something like this for under $300. This one is close to $900 now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts