Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with getting a Warn M8000 winch and receiver cradle for it, then putting 2" receivers on front & rear so I can use the winch on either end.

I four wheel alone mostly. Back country exploring and trail riding rather than conquering obstacles. Will explore in all seasons so snow will be an issue.

Or would you say it would be better to just bolt the winch to the front and have a hi-lift plus chains to serve as a manual winch for the rear when needed?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I vote just mount it to the bumper, you can still winch backwards. The problem is other than high centered situations do you really want to be lugging an 80# plus winch through the snow or mud, trying to mount it in the receiver at a funny angle all by yourself? Seems like a good way to slip and get hurt. And to drive with it pre attached costs approach/departure angles and possible damage to the winch. YouTube how to winch in reverse with a forward mounted winch. It's cool. Or use your hi-lift if need be. I wouldn't screw around with a cradle. You also have to sacrifice valuable cargo space to store it in the jeep.
Edit: heck high centered situations sometimes both ends might be up pretty high. That too could be a pain in the as. Just get a few snatch blocks, a few tree straps. A tow rope etc. you'll be all set.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...do you really want to be lugging an 80# plus winch through the snow or mud, trying to mount it in the receiver at a funny angle all by yourself? Seems like a good way to slip and get hurt.
It would be me and my wife so technically I'm not alone, just alone in the sense that there is no other vehicle. Still a 90-100 lb package in slippery conditions would not be easy to deal with.

Good point.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Ohh well hell, you got your wife with you, make her hook it up. Tell her you need to keep the rom's up...har har. In all seriousness I have a buddy who tried to go that route. He hated it. Ended up spending money twice and got it mounted to the bumper. I was considering doing the same as you. But after actually getting out in the woods you quickly realize it's not that practical. And once I found out you could actually winch backwards that settled it for me.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I was thinking of this(dual receivers) in the beginning but went to a stock bumper plate (just ordered a new bumper though) but the cost of the wiring to go to the rear was more $$$ that I wanted to shell out. The winch plate was $170 and the wiring was $250+ (wire & connectors)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts