Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread a couple days ago about towing a mustang I think and was wondering since it's unwise to tow a trailer what the use of the hitch is? Other than a tow point for recovery of course.

And, since I don't have a hitch on the back, is there a recovery point back there or do I need to add something? I noticed the club I was looking at not only said tow points on the front but on the back too, which stands to reason.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I saw a thread a couple days ago about towing a mustang I think and was wondering since it's unwise to tow a trailer what the use of the hitch is? Other than a tow point for recovery of course.

And, since I don't have a hitch on the back, is there a recovery point back there or do I need to add something? I noticed the club I was looking at not only said tow points on the front but on the back too, which stands to reason.

(I'm putting together the list of absolute must haves for going out)

I have Warn Rockcrawlers on mine and the hitch was good when I got rearened earlier this year. Pretty much stopped the car from destroying my tailgate. I would recomend a bumper with a 2" reciever in it. The stock bumpers tend to be a little weak in my experience. But to each their own:D

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I pull a small trailer with mine all the time. That's a lot different than towing a vehicle. Small loads are ok. Vehicles are very bad.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've towed my small trailer with both a frame mounted hitch and the built in hitch on my Durango bumper, no problems.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd always been under the impression that the bits underneath were different when the vehicle had a tow hitch, that you just couldn't add it without doing something.... maybe I'm wrong, as I often am.

(Odhinn, I have my eye on new bumpers, front and back)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here's an example from Hidden Hitch's website:

2004 Jeep Wrangler
Class I (6xxxx Series) 1-1/4" PN 60860
Part Number: 60860
Description: Class I (6xxxx Series) 1-1/4"
Class Rating: CLASS I
WC: 2000 lbs.
Drawbar Kit: 3590
Footnotes: More Detail >>>
Ø - No Drilling Required
DA: Will not fit with tube style bumper.

Class III & IV Receiver (7xxxx Series) - Round Tube PN 70503
Part Number: 70503
Description: Class III & IV Receiver (7xxxx Series) - Round Tube
Class Rating: CLASS III/IV
WC / WD: 3500 lbs. / 5000 lbs.
Ø - No Drilling Required

Class III & IV Receiver (87xxx Series) PN 87002
Part Number: 87002
Description: Class III & IV Receiver (87xxx Series)
Class Rating: CLASS III/IV
WC: 3500 lbs.
Ø - No Drilling Required

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'd always been under the impression that the bits underneath were different when the vehicle had a tow hitch, that you just couldn't add it without doing something.... maybe I'm wrong, as I often am.

(Odhinn, I have my eye on new bumpers, front and back)
The rock crawlers are pretty inexpensive (compared to other bumpers) and simple to install. In my view the reciever in the rear bumper also helps with clearance and aproach Angle. I am very happy with mine, but am thinking of ungrading to the same rear bumper with the addition of the oversized tire carrier.
A link to the ones I run.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryId=442

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
I've got a hitch on mine. I use it for a hitch rack or to pull a small trailer. Also helps me climb up into the back of my jeep.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I keep a receiver shackle in mine. Makes for a quick spot to secure a tow strap. Like the Warn 63063.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rock crawlers are pretty inexpensive (compared to other bumpers) and simple to install. In my view the reciever in the rear bumper also helps with clearance and aproach Angle. I am very happy with mine, but am thinking of ungrading to the same rear bumper with the addition of the oversized tire carrier.
A link to the ones I run.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryId=442
Those look pretty snazzy. I like 'em, but alas I have a year they don't offer, since I got mine this year as a leftover. Plus side though, if I get a front bumper that has a place for a winch already it would be a travesty to drive around without one :D

I've got a hitch on mine. I use it for a hitch rack or to pull a small trailer. Also helps me climb up into the back of my jeep.
What are you doing that you need to climb up onto your jeep? I don't want to miss out on anything.

I use the receiver with my cargo tray for long trips. I also use it with a bike carrier during the summer and looking into maybe a small trailer for my move in a couple of months. :D
This is what I've got:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/99989_000.htm
plus the tray:
http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-2668-194-reese-outfitter-cargo-carrier.aspx

:D
Sounds like you're moving just in time. Right before summer is fantastic here. Actually, there's not many times when the weather stinks. I'm inland a bit so summer is hot as hell, but only for a short time.

I obviously need a hitch. Man, this stinkin' list just keeps getting longer. I think I might have to sell a kidney to raise the cash. It's not like I'm using the second one, it's just taking up space. :D

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
What are you doing that you need to climb up onto your jeep? I don't want to miss out on anything.
My son is still small enough to need a carseat. It's easier to put it in from the back than from the front. So, you're not missing out on anything fun.:p

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hey, sons are fun ! If you can haul them around in your Jeep, even funner !

I've got that Hidden Hitch on my Jeep, works great for the hitchmount bikerack we got at Sam's Club. Am looking for a trailer now, something to tow the dirtbikes with, or firewood, or camping gear.......my lists getting too long also.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I obviously need a hitch. Man, this stinkin' list just keeps getting longer. I think I might have to sell a kidney to raise the cash. It's not like I'm using the second one, it's just taking up space. :D
If you think you might eventually want a small trailer, get a rear bumper w/ the hitch already integrated into it, but make sure it's actually rated for towing, not just for accessories. When I got mine, the Tomken was one of the few I could find made this way for a TJ.

Check here for details: TOMKEN MACHINE - Item Detail

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you guys know of any other bumpers like the TOMKEN that can handle more than just some little accessories?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a hitch, never had any issue. I have a platform deck that attaches using the trailer hitch that has a 500-pound limit, and a trailer with a 1500-pound limit that I have exceeded. It also makes a killer retrieval point.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Has it been damaged by any offroading or does it scrape?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I pull a small trailer with mine all the time. That's a lot different than towing a vehicle. Small loads are ok. Vehicles are very bad.
+1 I've towed a boat w/ my old Jeep, but it worked it pretty hard and wasn't the safest thing I've done. I wouldn't even attempt even a small car, especially with the necessary weight of a car hauler trailer. That would be a recipie for disaster.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts