Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the aftermarket receiver hitch bumpers that say "not tow rated" can actually tow a small utility trailer and if so, can they tow as much as the rated ones? Just curious as to what I should spend my money on?:confused:

·
Registered
948 Posts
steves92 said:
I am wondering if the aftermarket receiver hitch bumpers that say "not tow rated" can actually tow a small utility trailer and if so, can they tow as much as the rated ones? Just curious as to what I should spend my money on?:confused:
If you're going to get a rear bumper with a hitch in it and are going to to tow. I would say Atleast get a backplate when you attach the bumper to make it stronger and so that all the pressure spreads out instead of putting all that stress on the eight or so bolts that hold your bumper.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you're going to get a rear bumper with a hitch in it and are going to to tow. I would say Atleast get a backplate when you attach the bumper to make it stronger and so that all the pressure spreads out instead of putting all that stress on the eight or so bolts that hold your bumper.
x2. Most of them can tow something like what you're wanting, but they avoid putting a rating on there for liability reasons. Lawyer stuff and all, lol. I wouldn't go towing a 19' cuddy cabin boat or anything like that though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i am also looking for a rear bumper that has a hitch, and i have found that most that say
"2" receiver is not tow rated, and is for accessory use only" is legal mumbo gumbo and is fine for light use. However if you plan on pulling a light boat,6x10 trailer (loaded) etc, then something like this might be what your looking for....

Trailer Hitch for 1995 Jeep Wrangler - Curt 13657

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
i am also looking for a rear bumper that has a hitch, and i have found that most that say
"2" receiver is not tow rated, and is for accessory use only" is legal mumbo gumbo and is fine for light use. However if you plan on pulling a light boat,6x10 trailer (loaded) etc, then something like this might be what your looking for....

Trailer Hitch for 1995 Jeep Wrangler - Curt 13657
That is similar to a hitch I used to have on my YJ. I don't believe the one I had is made anymore though. It was pure beef, heavy as heck and I actually towed a 17' open bow with it a few times (not recommended, but I was in a pinch and it was a short distance).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Colibert Enterprises

The only one I found that looked viable, long long ago, was the Colibert Enterprises hitch. It has the side bars that go up along the frame. Even with those I couldn't use my Reese Equalizing hitch as the colibert hitch was designed for downward pressure, not the upward pressure that an equalizer places on it.

Using the Jeep to tow my 29' self contained trailer with 1000 lb bars put a lot of upward pressure on the hitch/frame.

I reinforced the hitch with a piece of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle across the back, welded to the hitch and bolted up into the crossmember of the frame. The gave support both up and down and worked great for towing.

Here are a couple of poor pictures of it. Took, them tonight in the dark so can't expect much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts