Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 2DR Dozer, and I need a bike/ski rack for the hitch. Since I need 9.5" clearance from hitch bolt hole to outside edge of spare tire, for most racks I need an extension. The hitch has a 200lb tongue weight, and they are saying that if you extend, you have to cut the tongue weight in half. So what I want to know, is it safe to have 4 bikes on a hitch bike rack if you use an extender ? Total weight would probably be around 140lbs.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There is a discussion going on about this here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bike-rack-what-you-got-116865.html

One guy had a Kuat Rack that carries 4 bikes. I'm having trouble with a decent fit all-together. I have a Kuat that I love but the fit is not working for me. PLus, a lot of manufacturers specifically say NOT to use extenders with their products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hitch Bike Rack

I found a 4 bike "Softride" bike rack that actually sells a longer hitch bar that you use instead of the one that comes with the rack, for just such issues as clearing the spare tire. It actually becomes part of the rack. My concern is whether the hitch/Jeep can handle the weight of 4 bikes, it adds 4" of clearance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That weight is nowhere near the rated tongue weight for a trailer....you'll be just fine with the weight out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts