Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5-pin plug on my Quadratec hitch and a 7-pin round plug on my trailer. So, I have a 5-pin to 7-pin adaptor.
On that adaptor is a ground wire.

Do I have to ground this setup?
If so, (since all the wiring is outside of the Jeep unlike my previous setups) where should I attach the ground wire?
Can I ground to the trailer instead of the Jeep?

Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You may not need to ground the white wire, as it is most likely that your 5 pin plug includes a ground wire already. If you have a multi-meter, test for ground.

If you decide you do need an extra ground, you should attach the white wire on your adapter to the Jeep frame. Drill a small hole in the cross member that your hitch is bolted to, and use a sheet metal screw to attach the ground.

Going from 5 wire on the Jeep to 7 wire on the trailer, I imagine that you will be missing two features that 7-pin wiring offers - probably back-up lights on the trailer, and a trailer auxiliary power or trailer battery charge. So if your trailer has a battery that you want charged while driving, you should consider having your Jeep trailer wiring modified to include a 7-pin socket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts