Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a two month old boy who just got out of the hospital. He is doing pretty well now. My question is at what point can I start taking him off-road in a car seat? Nothing hard core just fairly easy trails with the local jeep club.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm no doctor but I know I held off taking my son off-road until he had control over his neck muscles. That and I didn't want his head banging around the car seat while I'm on the trails. I'm sure others will chime but my motto is better safe than sorry. Or ask a pediatrician if you're unsure.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Eh. Hard to say. At that age they really cant support their own head. If you have a carseat that supports the head in an upright position he should be fine, but I wouldnt chance it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
4 -6 months and make sure its a reversible car seat and make sure its in the middle position on the back bench.

·
Registered
current: 07 JKUR previous: totaled 93 yj after new engine and tranny perfect timing!
162 Posts
Eww.. I can smell the rotting baby formula smell from here :( ...... I wouldn't take mine until they can work their own seat belt at least lol or maybe when their off the bottle. Twin 8 year old boys and a 12yr old girl is plenty just trying to go fishing lol... I personally would never take an infant on a trail

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had our 3 month old on some rough dirt roads. We had additional head support for him and my wife sat in the back and watched him. Use common sense and do what works for your family. For me, that meant going slow, picking easy routes and spending less time out than we were used to. I have found that my son really enjoys spending time outside, even if it is just on my lap in a camp chair by a creek. So my advice is be careful and get him out there.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
The biggest thing for the infants is neck support. When my son was in his rear facing car seat my wife would sit back there with him along with additional neck support. He is 15 months and has total control of his neck and he will sleep pretty good when we hit some difficult trails. I was always working on his neck strength as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His car seat is good and with some extra support and my wife in the back I may be tempted at 6-8 months to try some easier trails. Baby formula, bottle, diapers, wardrobe change probably all necessary items. I just hate to leave the wife and kid at home while I go on a trail all day. I'd prefer it to be a family event but I also don't want to compromise my child's safety and if that means waiting then that may be what happens.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd personally wait until the car seat is turned forward to hit the trails. My wife would have killed me if I tried to bring one of my babies along at just 6 months. Really the best person to ask is your pediatrician.

·
Commercial Member
386 Posts
Like most others have said, about 6 months. I like a rear facing car seat better. Their head is supported better, as soon as we made the seats forward facing my daughters heads would just hang down and we were always trying to correct it.
But they do like to go Jeeping now !!!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
even a GOOD car seat will allow forward and back head movement and that's just not something you want to play with IMHO...

We went on an EASY trail in Galveston this weekend - I mean easy down to the Sal Luis Pass bridge channel... even mini vans go there but there was enough left and right and forward and back jerking around, I just wouldn't chance it....

their head is like a bowling ball on a string for a long while :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
For the life of me I will never understand why ANYONE would even want to take a young baby offroading!!
Why would you want to risk your baby's well being?????? Yes, risk.
I don't even want to get it.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Our son was a little over 9 months when he went on his first organized ride - a poker run. Mostly pavement with fire roads. He was rear facing at the time. If you prepare properly and have your child in a good car seat, buckled in correctly, and some added support, and you don't go full on special, then you should be fine. If you are taking it easy, there are worse public roads then there are some of these "off road" areas. Some people think off roading as soon as your tires leave the pavement, others think that all off roading is bouncing off rocks or climbing hills at 88mph. End of the day, you will know your child and your comfort level.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was referring to those Jeepers that are big babies. Whining about scratching their new Jeeps on the trail or how big the rocks are on the trail.
Haha. That would be quite the thread.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I came across a buggy last year. Completely open, not even a windshield. The owner had welded up a support for a car seat just behind and between the front seats, facing forward. The 1 year old was sipping away on a bottle, happy as can be, while they crawled up a rock ledge. I guess it is a matter of personal opinion and using common sense when taking a baby along.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts