Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a build thought maybe it could have posting value. Meh!

So the build...

2010 JK 2 door, getting stretched at least 12" front and rear.

We'll be doing all the work so I figure we should make a to do list.

-Cummins 4bt swap
-Turbo 400 "built up with diesel torque converter"
-Dual transfer cases (np205 and 203)
-1 ton ford axles (guts?) Opinions?
-43" TSL stickies with bead locks
-Lift... as little as possible. Triangulated custom links

Goal: I want the wheels out past the bumpers by a bit. Flat belly like we all want at some point. With any luck Easter Jeep Safari 2021.

Got a bit of the work started but here is where we're at.
20201003_183408.jpg
20201003_183432.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture with the high heels before ripping this thing totally apart.

Obviously there are no axles underneath. In all the excitement they got torched off and scrapped.

But we welded it to some wheel dollies for some mobilization in the garage. Decided this will be a frame off job. The Jeep was from NY so it has some rust that needs rehomed.
20201005_143333.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered some steel to build a small welding table. So I don't have to do everything on the floor.

If anybody has any questions about how to remove certain parts as we go let me know. I will do my best to help out.

Going to remove the front clip today and try to separate the body from the frame.

This job already wants to be more complicated than my TJ ever was.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You might as well figure on cutting off the front fenders, narrow the upper frame, grill and radiator. Go full hydraulic triangulated up front. Cut the entire rear off behind the seats and narrow the rear. What kind of suspension travel are you shooting for? ORI struts? Going to be on the heavy side with a 4BT, i would guess in the 6000+ range. You should have just built a buggy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A buggy would have been easier, however I plan to keep it in my driveway after building it. Our HOA frowns on just about anything so need to keep it somewhat street legal. Also 4 seats was a necessity in this build or else I would not have gotten the green light.

Yes, full PSC hydro on my front high pinion 60 with Arctic truss system.

16 to 18" coilovers

Trying for as close to dual triangulated as possible, my uppers will be no problem.

Going to hack the frame up and have custom cross members etc. However just discovered the front of a JK has the inner fender structure welded in.

I prefer not to wedge my hood or narrow the rear. However might do something similar if it works out.

Heavy? Yes, no doubt. That's what the Cummins is for other than the cool factor.

Besides it's a Jeep thing, right?
16026996917861938380519550913815.jpg
16026997355777473907925192811905.jpg
16026998200533209325839433787088.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you are keeping 4 seats where is the fuel cell going to go? With low lift and 16-18" of travel you are going to have to cut basically all the rear tub off. The axle is going to travel so far in when stuffed/drooped that it will be into the seating area.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to use a 15 gallon fuel cell behind the back seat. Possibly cut into the floor a little although that won't be necessary.

I am running full width axles with spacers if needed. The rear is going to be set back about 20". Clearance won't be an issue with full stuff. However, I expect there will be some figuring on the full droop on one side vs full compression on the other. Keeping it low is mostly a pipe dream. After all its not a single seat rock bouncer.

I imagine once the kids go to college I can go more extreme.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably do all my mocking up with this set of 40's I have.
20201016_124624.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20201016_185701.jpg
20201016_185723.jpg

Sneak peak at my bread truck 4bt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered the Lockers today. Going to run 5.13 gears, just waiting till I see a good price. Still need to order a meter for setting my backlash. I will post pics when it comes in.

Jeep is ready to come off the frame, just getting the garage ready for that mess. Hopefully that will be done in a few days.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up a new welding cart from Northern Tool today. On sale for $90
20201021_152325.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the frame out. After pulling the drive train I will get it sand blasted. Then I can do some fab work.

Also, the Motive ring gears came in.
20201022_120213.jpg
20201022_120149.jpg

2,766 Posts
Are you keeping the motor stock?

I 4bt swapped my JKU. HUGE Headache but in the end worth it. I also have a friend that got a 4bt with the p pump stock in a TJ. Hes runing 43 SS and a stock TJ rubicon T-case.

There are a ton of good forums on the 4bt swap forum. Any questions let me know!

Austin

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you keeping the motor stock?

I 4bt swapped my JKU. HUGE Headache but in the end worth it. I also have a friend that got a 4bt with the p pump stock in a TJ. Hes runing 43 SS and a stock TJ rubicon T-case.

There are a ton of good forums on the 4bt swap forum. Any questions let me know!

Austin
I am going to keep it stock for now. It is a clean low mileage motor. I don't want to go extreme on it and lose what is good about it in the long run. I may do the fuel plate mod for now.

I will run it for a while, once I have saved up again I will pull it for a rebuild and p-pump mod and turbo etc.

2,766 Posts
I am going to keep it stock for now. It is a clean low mileage motor. I don't want to go extreme on it and lose what is good about it in the long run. I may do the fuel plate mod for now.

I will run it for a while, once I have saved up again I will pull it for a rebuild and p-pump mod and turbo etc.
Good Deal!

If you have any questions let me know. We can get you just about any part you need.

Austin

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the frame to the sandblasters yesterday.

So in case anyone is wondering. Yes, you can haul a Jeep frame in the back of a pickup truck bed. Yes, you can load it all by yourself (using patience and ingenuity).

Forgot to take a pic of it in the truck. I will when I pick it up.
20201022_183424.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The frame is done. It will take a bit of work to get the frame cleaned up from the factory brackets and cross members.

Reactions: JustOnlyME
1 - 20 of 28 Posts