Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't trust anybody!
I noticed the level in my coolant reservoir creeping down just a little so I decided to get some coolant to top it off and just to have on hand. I tried NAPA for the OAT coolant like some have recommended but two different stores here in Houston didn't know what I was talking about. Rather than fight it I decided to go to a dealer for the real thing. I told the parts clerk I needed some coolant. "What year?" 2013. "Vehicle?" Jeep Wrangler. It takes the OAT coolant. "Right" The purple one. "Right, got it right here"
He puts a gallon on the counter and charges me, $15.65. Hmm, I think. I heard this stuff was really expensive. I guess the price has come down some. I take it home and start pouring it into my reservoir but it's coming out red/orange, not purple. Dang, the dude sold me HOAT! I found my turkey baster and suctioned it our as far as it would reach but then had to get a length of heater hose to suck out the rest. BTW, this stuff tastes terrible. Now I'm getting mad! I poured distilled water into the reservoir and went to bed but I had nightmares. I woke at one point and realized I had poured HOAT coolant into the reservoir of a hot engine during cool-down when it sucks it back. Now I'm getting worried.
I called the guy this morning and asked him for a part number - coolant for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. I'm watching my receipt as he rattles off 68051212-AB. I think you sold me the wrong coolant yesterday. I've got a 2013!
The guy falls all over himself apologizing and says he'll call me right back. He calls back and says I need to flush it ASAP. I can sell you 3 gallons of the OAT at a discounted price. I said, "Hold on man. This flush is on you. I can bring it in and your service department can do it or you can give me the coolant and I'll do it myself but I'm not paying for it."
I'll call you right back, he says. He calls back, his service people won't do the flush and his parts people won't spring for the coolant so he comes out of his own pocket, so he says, for 3 gallons of OAT and 3 gallons of distilled water along with flushing instructions.

Now here's my question, given the fact that I only poured a few ounces in and sucked most of that out, do I even need the flush and if so does anyone have a good shade tree procedure for me to follow,

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Would you mind posting the part number of the correct stuff so I can avoid a similar issue at my dealer?

·
Retired Moderator
100,716 Posts
Would you mind posting the part number of the correct stuff so I can avoid a similar issue at my dealer?
I don't know the part number, but yes the 2013 takes OAT and it's cost is about $46.00 a gallon at your Jeep Dealer.
HOAT is a lot cheaper, less than $20.00 a gallon.
.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I don't know the part number, but yes the 2013 takes OAT and it's cost is about $46.00 a gallon at your Jeep Dealer. HOAT is a lot cheaper, less than $20.00 a gallon. .:thumb:
It's right there on the front of the bottle, lower, left corner of the label, just too blurry in the pic to read for 100%. I think it's 68163849AA, but wanted to be sure. Can you grab it off there and post back? Thanks, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great that the parts guy took responsibility for the error and was willing to pay for the coolant, but COME ON, the dealer service department will NOT do the flush or cover the cost of coolant? WTF I would never do business there again.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
^ Water for the flush I'd say.

Here's a few other things to look at -

2012 - HOAT - blue cap on bottle, 5 year/100,000 miles on label

2013 - OAT - black cap on bottle, 10 year/150,000 miles on label

I'd also take it up with the general manager at the dealer. The guy made a big mistake selling it to you, especially after you asked if it was the right one. You may even have a decent argument to call the Star line on the dealer too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll post the actual part # for the OAT coolant but if you just pay attention, which I obviously wasn't, the easiest clue is 5-year versus 10-year. HOAT or OAT is nowhere on the bottles that I could find and a Google search didn't turn up any part #'s.
I don't necessarily fault MOPAR for changing to a coolant that is more environmentally friendly though I think much of the danger is overblown. We have no way of knowing what political pressures they are under. What I DO fault them for is failing to train their parts counter employees as to the inherent problems.
This system is ripe for trouble and I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last one to fall into the trap.

Does anyone know a good way to evacuate the distilled water out of my system after the cleaning process. I want a good 50-50 refill.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Part # is 68163849AA

My local dealer sells for $35.

Anyone know of a place to get cheaper online?

·
Registered
54 Posts
coolant

Hey guys need your help. Just installed a ripp system on my 2013jeep and spilled some coolant. My coolant is orange in the radiator. Called the local jeep dealer and he said cannot mix the hoat and oat. Told him mine was orange and he stated oh yah it turns orange after you run the vehicle/
has anyone else seen or heard of this

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. I read somewhere that Chrysler used amber OAT for factory fill, but also has an OAT that is dyed purple too for service fills. Was he saying the purple turned to orange/amber? I would think the purple OAT and orange would be compatible, but if I were you I'd get a hold of a service tech who you'd trust.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You sure its orange? My '13 looks orange in the radiator and resovoir but once I removed some I could clearly see its purple.

If yours truly is orange then I'd assume maybe the supercharger installer drained your coolant and refilled with the wrong orange stuff.

Reactions: bill61

·
Registered
722 Posts
My 13' was built 9/12/12.

Coolant is purple, and looks purple in the reservoir. The lesson here is to double, triple check anything you buy from a dealer of elsewhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
went to the dealer yesterday and asked for coolant for a 2013 jkur. The young lady plopped a gallon of the 5 year/100k mile coolant on the counter. I questioned her if this was the correct coolant and the parts manager said dont ever sell that one for any 2013 or newer and placed the 10 year stuff on the counter ($35). By the way both caps on the jugs were black. took a sample out of my rad and my wifes 5.7l 2014 GC summit and summit is bright pink and mine depending on the light is either orange if viewed from the side in a glass jar or purple if viewed from the top. Very confusing

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. I read somewhere that Chrysler used amber OAT for factory fill, but also has an OAT that is dyed purple too for service fills. Was he saying the purple turned to orange/amber? I would think the purple OAT and orange would be compatible, but if I were you I'd get a hold of a service tech who you'd trust.

he did say it turned orange and I agree he does not know what he is talking about. The jeep dealer in my town leaves a lot to be desired. The parts manager did say ALL 2013's and newer use OAT purplish coolant

·
Registered
54 Posts
You sure its orange? My '13 looks orange in the radiator and resovoir but once I removed some I could clearly see its purple.

If yours truly is orange then I'd assume maybe the supercharger installer drained your coolant and refilled with the wrong orange stuff.
I installed the ripp with a buddy of mine and used the coolant that we drained out to refill the system, just need a bit to top of the reservoir.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are going to have to take this one by the short hair and manage your own cooling system service. The dealers have all gone stupid or something. Here's a good picture of the two coolants. You can't mix them or it turns to sludge. OAT on the left and HOAT on the right. Nowhere on the bottle does it say OAT or HOAT.
10 year, 150,000 mile, OAT part# is 68163849AA............5 year, 100,000 mile, HOAT part# is 68051212AB

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You guys are going to have to take this one by the short hair and manage your own cooling system service. The dealers have all gone stupid or something. Here's a good picture of the two coolants. You can't mix them or it turns to sludge. OAT on the left and HOAT on the right. Nowhere on the bottle does it say OAT or HOAT.
10 year, 150,000 mile, OAT part# is 68163849AA............5 year, 100,000 mile, HOAT part# is 68051212AB

Great pic. This should definately clear it up for everyone. Unfortunately, some parts personnel aren't totally knowledgeable on all of the products. It's ultimately up to us to know what to use. Now, if someone has a flush done at the dealer and the parts dept. gives the service tech. the wrong stuff and it's not caught and put in, oh well.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts