Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wavey:Hi Guys, Here we go.Replaced all vac lines, full tune up, wires pluggs, filter, cap ect...Before I start replacing sensors or related parts, here are symtoms Doesn't want to run while cold will slowly loose rpm's until it "chuggs off".Manually keep it running with gas pedal keeping revs up till lts warm it idles ok.Once warm if I give it more than just a little throttle at a time it almost dies then rpm's will slowly pick up.If I give it to much throttle it sometimes will blow back thru the throttle body, before rpm's rev up.Specs: 1989 2.5L TBI 5 speed.I dont have the budget to start throwing parts at it till it is straightened out. I do Thank all of you for your continued help.Keep waving!!!:wavey:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Did you get the TBI replaced and hook up all the vacuum lines??? If so for some reason the ECU is not reading cold engine at start-up and setting idle higher to compensate for running rich until warmed up. So temp sensors both on the intake one gets hot water reading (unless it has been bypassed) and the other gets hot air temp reading which is sent to ecu. I have the charts for resistance values at temp at home so later today I will post if needed. Thats all I got right now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jokerchief. If you would post the resistance value charts that will be very helpful.The more info I have to check some of these sensors = less parts I need to replace if they are operating correctly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You!! "Little Red" is going back to the shop next week, I'm sure this will help.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great news!! When I was cleaning up in the engine bay, I had to put some of the wires back into the plastic sheath(dont know what they are called) While doing this I unplugged some of the sensor lines. The plug that goes into the throttle body, I plugged into the o2 sensor line and didn't plug the o2 sensor at all.So the o2 line wasn't plugged in, and the line to the throttle body wasn't plugged in, how does it still run?Its fixed and idles fine. I put color coded ties on everything or I wouldn't have caught it.NEWBEE mistake!!! This jeep is so forgiving, its AWSUM!! Thank you all for the help.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Time to fire that baby up and take your best girl for ride on Sunday. You are way north in NH used to live in Nashua in the 60's. Would love to do some wheelin there. Great news and hope there is many more it sure will be nice to get her out!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hogging Up(cont.)

:whistling:So I get all the wires plugged into their correct places and just had to take her for a ride. 8 miles or so great, running smooth.I turn to into my driveway and look at the gauges.The battery gauge( I'm Tired you know what I mean) Is showing discharge, way over to the left.Pop up the hood & the red lead going to the altenator is broken off.More jerry rigging from PO'S they didn,t put a connector on the terminal, just wrapped the wire around the post.New connecter, cleaned the area while there = Running & charging fine. This jeep is such a trooper, it could have done this when we were 75 miles away the other day.Little Red & I made a deal, I'll do my best to take care of her and she does her part to take care of us.:dance::wavey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts