Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Probably the biggest thing I need for my Jeep right now (2013 JK sport 4D hard top) is an easy way to get the top off. I get the Quadratec catalogs and their newest solution is something called the Lange Hoist-a-top. This looks ideal for my situation, as I'm renting my house and the garage is not that big, so I don't have a lot of space for mounting or long ropes/cables, etc.
Anyone have this, and do you like it? is it as easy as it looks? I'm looking for recommendations, yes or no. Or, am I really wasting my time/money on looking at something like that and I should be "manning up" and removing my hard top by myself? :)
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look on YouTube and build your own! Only cost us about $50!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello!
...and I should be "manning up" and removing my hard top by myself? :)
Consider the cost if you slip and drop it. :jawdrop:
I don't want a thousand buck "oops" so I ordered a Harken Hoister.

·
Registered
801 Posts
totally worth the $$, I have the Harken and it is great. I can go from fully dressed to topless in about 10 minutes

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you actually need a hoist to remove top or does it just make it easier? The top weighs about 100 lbs. but could a couple of guys just lift it up? My garage doesn't have a lot of 'head' room and I'd rather just get my son-in-laws to lift it up and put on a foam pad in my garage along the wall. I'm starting to wonder if getting the 'freedom top' wasn't a mistake if I have to get a $400 hoist to take it off. I'm sure there's got to be a way to do it old fashion way......

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
We LOVE our Harken hoist!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Do you actually need a hoist to remove top or does it just make it easier? The top weighs about 100 lbs. but could a couple of guys just lift it up? My garage doesn't have a lot of 'head' room and I'd rather just get my son-in-laws to lift it up and put on a foam pad in my garage along the wall. I'm starting to wonder if getting the 'freedom top' wasn't a mistake if I have to get a $400 hoist to take it off. I'm sure there's got to be a way to do it old fashion way......
You do not "need" a hoist. Really easy for two people to take it off and put it on. I built my own for $30 in parts and about an hour of labor

·
Registered
190 Posts
if I have to get a $400 hoist to take it off. I'm sure there's got to be a way to do it old fashion way......
Two guys can lift it pretty easy, but there are lots of good DIY hoist ideas on Youtube using $20 in HD materials and up. A hoist does double duty if you have a high ceiling and use it for storage it too. I got the the Harken because its triple blocks make it a one-hand operation, it has no frame so I can take it down and put it in a drawer, and I knew their stuff from my sailing days.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
You don't need a hoist, but it makes it a LOT easier.

The benefit is the the top can be installed AND removed by one person. It also keeps the top out of the way (if you ceiling is high enough). You don't need a really, really high ceiling for a hoist. Just enough to raise the top about 8 inches. That way you can still easily park (nose in) under the top).

·
Registered
133 Posts
You don't need a hoist, but it makes it a LOT easier.

The benefit is the the top can be installed AND removed by one person. It also keeps the top out of the way (if you ceiling is high enough). You don't need a really, really high ceiling for a hoist. Just enough to raise the top about 8 inches. That way you can still easily park (nose in) under the top).
And how high is high enough? I have 8 1/2 foot cellings in the garage and I was wondering if I could do this or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two guys can lift it pretty easy, but there are lots of good DIY hoist ideas on Youtube using $20 in HD materials and up. A hoist does double duty if you have a high ceiling and use it for storage it too. I got the the Harken because its triple blocks make it a one-hand operation, it has no frame so I can take it down and put it in a drawer, and I knew their stuff from my sailing days.

the harken one would be fine if i had a bigger garage...but mine is not deep enough, which is why i was looking at this Lange model instead, it doesn't need depth to mount.
I'll check out youtube too...thanks!

If anyone does have the Lange hoist I'd still like to hear about it! thank you

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
And how high is high enough? I have 8 1/2 foot cellings in the garage and I was wondering if I could do this or not.
That will be cutting it close. There are a lot of threads on "hoists" around here. I know some people have them in garages with low ceilings, but I don't remember how low. I think my garage is 9 1/2 feet.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
One 2x4 frame, two cinch straps, 50 feet of paracord, two small pully's, one eye bolt, one chinese cheep hand crank winch (boat type at Tractor Supply). one hour work and about 50 bucks total. One man 5 minutes approximate time to remove top safely and out of the way where it can be lowered back down and installed in about the same time with one man or lady. Or it can hang around the garage ceiling permanently the way ours is.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Lol @ that idiot in the video.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I have one and it works great and I'm very happy with it. I have the hard top hanging all season over a car I would really rather not see squashed, so I'm comfortable enough with it that it stays suspended all season.

I did make sure I took the time to reinforce joists in the attic where appropriate.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A hard top hoist was easily the best thing i have done for my jeep.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My son and I just lift the top off together, and put it on together. Works fine with two guys.

When and if he EVER moves out... :) I'll rig a do-it-yourself hoist and just hang it in the garage.

Weight isn't bad, but it's really a lot to ask for one man to lift it and not drop the doggone thing.

CW

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like our harken hoist, the 2 door hard top is much bigger, heavier and more awkward than the 4 door, but I suggest it for both.

The great thing about the harken hoist is that you can install it in reverse and it works the same, depending on your garage (mine is cement and the garage doors open out)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts