Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good recommendations for a hoist system for my 2 dr JK, I think Harken has one but I don't know if something else is available. Also, about how much does the 2dr top weigh?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
All you need is 4 eye hooks on your garage rafters and cam-buckle or ratchet straps. That's what I've done and works like a charm. As for weight, I know the 4 door top weighs around 125 lbs. so the 2 door should be around 100 lbs. (my guess.) Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, the DYI is easy and about $20. Search YouTube. The ideal spacing between eye-hooks should be 56" front and 46" rear, (and the JKU front-back spacing is 40"). If your studs arent close enough to the exact side-side spacing, you could bolt a 2x2" crossmember into the studs and then do the 56"-46" hooks into the crossmembers.

Also, make sure you have the correct SPACE first. My garage is plenty big, but once you get past the opener you've got the main support beam and then the main heat duct and THEN a 12' long fluorescent light.

Also, if you go the ratchet-strap route you might want to use cut up pieces of rubber innertube to protect from abrasions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went with a DIY electric hoist option. Made sure to anchor it to my ceiling joists and extended the remote cable 20 feet. Works great. Costs including electric hoist mounting hardware was around $150. I plan to add a platform this winter for longer storage options during the winter months so the hoist is not holding the weight of the top for months at at time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a Racor Heavy Lift Storage Platform. You can order it from almost anywhere for just over a hundred bucks. With this lift you can put your freedom top panels on top and strap your hard top to the bottom. It works great and easy to install. With the crank, one person can put the top on or take it off. I don't think it would be any different working with a two door.
Racor HeavyLift Storage Platform-PHL-1R - The Home Depot

·
Registered
785 Posts
I went with Harken hoist. Just installed it today.

It will be used for my kayak during winter, and my hardtop for the summer time while I use my soft one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the harken hoist, makes taking the hard top off just as easy as the soft top on my TJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts