Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to first apologize as there are no pictures of the blue footed bambi as every time there was a trail sighting of this magnificant creature we all stood there in AWE... To shocked to take pictures. The blue footed bambi stands about 5'7" and is a bi-ped blonde that was sporting some of those gloves for feet togs. You know the ones, the rubber slippers for your feet that individually wrap each toe? To date one of the most strangest and fancinating things I have ever seen on the trail. You could not take your eyes off those feet...

On with the story...(sorry for any mistakes as I am pressed for time and no real effort was put into this to ensure the grammar and sentence structure was correct).

As the story goes DaK made a call to jeepers far and wide to join them on a fall Holcomb run in Big Bear. All of the locals failed to respond. They will have for sale signs placed on thier jeeps at the next jeep get together. As my theory is, if you are not going to use it, sell it. ChuckRN responded that he would like to flex his new front end which I believe he said from Poly performance. Nice set up, real nice stuff. His self performed weld beads were perfect. Very nice job Chuck and congrats on the front end upgrade.

So the weekend comes and it is the weekend of the Jeep Expo in Pomona. Oh this is cool because not only are we wheeling on a Sunday, when most of you people are packing up to go home, a lot of people are at the Jeep Expo. :thumb::D This will hopefully mean the trails are fairly empty.

Team DaK is up and at 'em early as usual but mostly due to the 2.5 hr drive to the trail. Sometimes it really sucks being in the middle of it all. Anyways, whining will be saved for sometime later. While gassing up the cell rings, vibrates or whatever the fangled thing does and it is Ancient Path. Ancient Path calls to inform me that he will not be meeting us as he has things TO DO! Okay man, whatever its all good. So Team DaK finished filling up with liquified dino and starts the journey to Big Bear. About 10 minutes pass and it is ancient path again.... Now WHAT? The conversation went something likes this, "DaK (some reason at this point he never learned my real name), I changed my mind, I am coming, wait for me". Cool man, see at the top of the mountain.

Fast forwarding because the drive out was extremely boring. We get to the mountain and all is well. We start out, ChuckRN is our lead... Chuck decides to ask his wife to wheel holcomb and he will spot. UMMMM OKAY... Turns out Bambi, yes the blue footed bi-ped Bambi, can wheel the rig awesomely.

We get through the first rock gardens with no issues and then comes the main rock garden. We walk the garden, pick our lines and this is where Ancient Path goes, I want to go this way! ChuckRN says, OKAY but... proceeds to inform Ancient that this is a tough obstacle and blah, blah, blah.... But go for it. Blue footed Bambi rolls right through the rock garden with no issues. Ancient Path does well up to the "big rocks" and then shows us the way (get it? Path, the way??) to high center a JKU on Holcomb. See pics below. Ancient was in good spirits throughout the experience as whatelse ya gonna do? You definitely are not going anywhere. So we tug him off and then Ancient decides to prove to me how durable the Currie front end is by taking on a rock with his sway bar. I am impressed as the bar must have flexed a good two/three inches and never appeared as though it was touch. My stocker would have been bent more than the golden arches. Good to know... hmmm I smell a mod coming. At then of the rock is that off camber exit. Man I don't like those. As can be seen our little JK is barely leaning but inside it feels like you are just going to roll it.

Rest of the trail was cake walk as you all know. The gate keeper re-design is nice and presents some challenges that were welcomed. Then it was down to the bottom of the hill where we tanked up the Jeeps, ate at that mexican place across from the Valero, which was pretty good by the way. Ancient and my wife swapped Manager "War" stories for about an hr before I had to throw in the flag and get us on the road.

As always, great day on the trail. All day we saw no other jeeps or rigs of any kind on Holcomb. Want to give a shout out to ChuckRN for spotting all the way through. Awesome job getting us all through there with no issues... well there was the high center but... hey gotta have something to talk about right? Ancient Path, good to finally meet and wheel with ya. Looking forward to many more adventures with these two.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for invite D & K. Always a good time wheeling with you both. And Ancientpath, nice rig/driving skills for sure. You look like a Pro out there and look forward to more trips with you all.

Chuck & Joni (aka Bambi)

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
Nice. The last pic is awesome. We were there tuesday morning. Had the trail to ourselves. Did Holcomb creek also. The JKU in our group did the turtle thing twice but he's on 33's and a 3 inch lift. Not tall enough for a couple of lines he chose. These were some fun trails.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for invite D & K. Always a good time wheeling with you both. And Ancientpath, nice rig/driving skills for sure. You look like a Pro out there and look forward to more trips with you all.

Chuck & Joni (aka Bambi)

Nice shot of the suspension drop.

·
Registered
402 Posts
^^ Thanks DaK. Finished up the rear axle spring seat re-lo yesterday along with some grade 8 hardware. Now headed to the White's and North end of DV this afternoon. Hoping for a light dusting up on Hunter Mtn for some Pics. Will be spending one night in Jeep.. See how that goes with the boss.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice write up DAVID :rolleyes: I had a great time at Holcomb too!

Thanks Chuck for the kind words and spotting for us newbs. Joni was the pro though considering it was her first time driving and I was very impressed with her skills :thumb::thumb:

Dave, it was good to finally meet you and Kelly. I agree, the Mexican restaurant was very good. We'll do it again.

Until we meet again :wavey:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Thanks DaK. Finished up the rear axle spring seat re-lo yesterday along with some grade 8 hardware. Now headed to the White's and North end of DV this afternoon. Hoping for a light dusting up on Hunter Mtn for some Pics. Will be spending one night in Jeep.. See how that goes with the boss.

Be great to get a .gpx file of your journey when ya get back.

Have fun out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts