Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how's it going?
I just got my hardtop and I think the next item on the list is fixing my floor, on my drivers side under the carpet (right under my feet, to the door, to under the pedals, and it goes to the bottom of the hump where the shifter is) and my question is how do I go about repairing this? Should I use a cutoff wheel and cut out all of the rust and. Just weld on another piece to scrap over it? How much do you think it would cost to buy the piece(s) of metal from a scrap metal place? The hole is about 1 square foot give or take
Thanks Jeepers

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You depends on the kind of repair you can live with, and be able to do.

Ideally, you want to cut out all the cancer and weld in a new piece, then treat the new piece as well as all the welds. But if your skills, and tools do not really accommodate such a repair, then either have someone else do it, or make do.

I would at least take a cutting wheel and cut out all the cancer I can find, and at a minimum use screws to tack down the new piece. As well as treating all the bare metal and screws with paint or even some truck bed liner.

They make replacement floor board steel, just run a search and they will pop up.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
you could put rust converter on the rusty areas ( several times ) and then pop rivet some thin sheet metal over the area..go back over that with some bed liner

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
you could put rust converter on the rusty areas ( several times ) and then pop rivet some thin sheet metal over the area..go back over that with some bed liner
POR15 is also a great product for treating/painting over rust.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
They make replacement floor pans you can weld in. Other than that you can probably get a piece to weld in from Lowes for about $20.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone told me to check out the quadratec website and I think I'm going to go with one of their floor panels. After I cut out the rust do you need to treat the remaining metal to stop it from spreading? Or could I just weld It in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What exactly would I treat it with? And Since its on the bottom do I need to prime/paint it still or is that just for the looks?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
twixter96 said:
What exactly would I treat it with? And Since its on the bottom do I need to prime/paint it still or is that just for the looks?
The paint will seal off the metal and keep it from rusting all over again. Self etching primer is what is use on bare metal, then whatever color rattle can paint you want, doesn't have to be pretty if its going under the carpet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ill have to pick up some of the primer then. It's under the carpet for now but in spring I plan on bed lining it, IMO it looks a lot nicer than my shitty carpet lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts