Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm a dumbass. Yesterday I decided that those Footman Loops in the bed of my Jeep needed to Go Away. It turns out that they're pop riveted in place. That's okay, I have a drill.

You see where this is going? You're right. I had about half of them off before it occurred to me that the gas tank is RIGHT under the bed. I didn't FEEL anything while drilling, but this morning my old nemesis the Check Engine Light popped up again. Large Emission Leak. :whacky:

So, does anybody have a way or a product that can repair a, (several) hole(s) in my gas tank?:pullinghair:

I see a couple plastic gas tank repair chemicals advertised, but I really only want to do this once. I'd rather pay $10 for a tube of something that will work than $150 or more for a junkyard tank, me being a COB.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I don't think I would trust anything other than replacing it. Ya don't want one of your quick patches to let loose at a crappy time.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oops...

I know it's of little consolation but I was my own worst enemy a couple of weeks ago. An errant hammer blow cost me a pretty penny for a new radiator while trying to change out my steering damper. Sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way.

If I were in your shoes and could swing the cost, I would get a nice new tank and swap out any fuel system parts that look even remotely suspect(hoses, filters, ect.). A fresh start so to speak.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
that sucks lol...i removed mine as well but remembered the tank being there so just drilled them flush and used a crowbar to op them out...

good luck!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's of little consolation but I was my own worst enemy a couple of weeks ago. An errant hammer blow cost me a pretty penny for a new radiator while trying to change out my steering damper. Sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way.

If I were in your shoes and could swing the cost, I would get a nice new tank and swap out any fuel system parts that look even remotely suspect(hoses, filters, ect.). A fresh start so to speak.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck and be safe.
That's not the half of it: When I bought the Jeep, the original tank was cracked. They replaced it and ALL the lines that go to it. That was about.......eight months ago!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Drilling on the rear i also popped a hole in my tank. Evap code and i could smell the gas afer a day. After googling gas tank repair apparently a hole in the top is no big deal. There is epoxy for tank repair but plenty of people have plugged holes with screws. I used epoxy putty and its fine.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I would just get a replacement. Even if you have to travel a little ways. You could be up and running by tmr.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I believe I'd put a proper sized screw into each hole, well lubed with lots of JBWeld or one of the other repair epoxy materials. Then cover the top of each screw with JBWeld so all you see is a line of grey dots that will probably be there long after the rest of the tank is rusted through or otherwise trashed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I believe I'd put a proper sized screw into each hole, well lubed with lots of JBWeld or one of the other repair epoxy materials. Then cover the top of each screw with JBWeld so all you see is a line of grey dots that will probably be there long after the rest of the tank is rusted through or otherwise trashed.
I would do the same thing, plug it with stainless steel screws. Jb will most likely work, but I think 3M 5200 adhesive caulk would stick to polyethylene better. 5200 is incredible stuff...takes 7 days to fully cure and sticks to anything.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys. But just to keep things interesting, on Tuesday, the CEL went OUT, and continues to do so. I don't smell gas, or see any other sign of a leak. I'm thinking that I might have punctured one of the evap hoses down there, and it wiggled around enough to seal itself.

I think I'll pull the tank anyway when it gets low enough to do so. Just to be sure. And Just In Case, I picked up a tube of J-B Weld WaterWeld. Supposed to work on plastic, fiberglass, and metal. And resist Gasoline.

I figure that if I have to use it, I can pull the sending unit and squeeze the stuff into the holes and spread it around from the inside to make it plug better. Maybe I'll get lucky and just need a new evap line. I doubt if even I can screw that up. But.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
RV places use a router to repair "plastic" tanks. They have an adapter that holds a "plastic" disc. Spin the router up and it melts the disc into the hole. They repair cracks and install new pipe fittings this way. This might be another possible solution.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I see gas tanks all the time in my area on craigslist for $20-$30. I'd start there first.

And I also agree, I would trust a patch as it will come loose at the worst possible moment.

Did a search in Arizona...not sure where you are but this came up....which is a steal...

Jeep TJ gas tank. fuel pump, and skid plate

That tank looks awful clean for one that's 13 years old. I hope when they pressure washed it they had it all sealed up.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That tank looks awful clean for one that's 13 years old. I hope when they pressure washed it they had it all sealed up.
Why? With the fuel pump out you can reach in and dry it out or let it air dry. No biggie, you aren't mixing water with gas. Just make sure it is dry before fueling up. Even with all the parts on there you can get it pretty damn clean with 409. I cleaned mine up when installing my savvy skid.

By the looks of the picture though you can see water by the tank but it does look like they sealed it up anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts