Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few people ask about this so I figured I'd do a quick write-up. I'll add picks from my phone in following posts since it's easier, due to them being on it. I did this because I couldn't find anything at any sort of what I would call a "reasonable" price.

BTW, mine is a '13 2DR.

I didn't measure anything. But I did remove it and put a tape to the "sections" for a reference. Also, the way I did this was to keep it as close to the floor as possible because my wife will drive it every now and then so she moves the seat forward. Doing it this way, all she has to do is pull the holster off the mount if it's in the way.

First remove the front seat bolt cover by using a screwdriver and prying up the center. Once pried up, rotate it counterclockwise to access the two screws holding it in place. Remove the screws and remove the cover.

Next remove the seat bolt (18mm). Mine was very tight.

I then used a 1 1/4" wide strip of poster board and laid the edge over the bolt hole overlapping the hole. Start bending the strip in the areas you want the bends so that it bends to where you would like it to go.

I cut a strip out of a 1/4" steel plate I already had, but 1 1/4" wide flat sock can be easier to use since it's already at the width. 3/16" thick would probably work just fine, but I already had 1/4", so that's what I used.

After the template is done, lay it on the steel and mark where the bends are going to be.

On the outside of the bends, I cut about half way through to score the steel. For the initial bends, I heated them with a torch to make it easier, and used a hammer and vise to tweak them to where I wanted.

After getting the bends in position, locate where the hole will be and drill to 1/2".

Bolt it in and double check that all the bends are where you want them and it's positioned where you want.

Once satisfied, remove and weld up the cuts. Grind smooth and make sure the holster used will fit. I had to trim a bit off the width for mine to fit, but made sure it's snug so it doesn't pull off too easy. Paint. Bolt in. Slide holster on. Done.

Can probably bolt the holster to the mount, but I didn't. Also, I didn't re-install the cover. It can be trimmed until it fits, but I didn't bother with it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I have had a few people ask about this so I figured I'd do a quick write-up. I'll add picks from my phone in following posts since it's easier, due to them being on it. I did this because I couldn't find anything at any sort of what I would call a "reasonable" price.

BTW, mine is a '13 2DR.

I didn't measure anything. But I did remove it and put a tape to the "sections" for a reference. Also, the way I did this was to keep it as close to the floor as possible because my wife will drive it every now and then so she moves the seat forward. Doing it this way, all she has to do is pull the holster off the mount if it's in the way.

First remove the front seat bolt cover by using a screwdriver and prying up the center. Once pried up, rotate it counterclockwise to access the two screws holding it in place. Remove the screws and remove the cover.

Next remove the seat bolt (18mm). Mine was very tight.

I then used a 1 1/4" wide strip of poster board and laid the edge over the bolt hole overlapping the hole. Start bending the strip in the areas you want the bends so that it bends to where you would like it to go.

I cut a strip out of a 1/4" steel plate I already had, but 1 1/4" wide flat sock can be easier to use since it's already at the width. 3/16" thick would probably work just fine, but I already had 1/4", so that's what I used.

After the template is done, lay it on the steel and mark where the bends are going to be.

On the outside of the bends, I cut about half way through to score the steel. For the initial bends, I heated them with a torch to make it easier, and used a hammer and vise to tweak them to where I wanted.

After getting the bends in position, locate where the hole will be and drill to 1/2".

Bolt it in and double check that all the bends are where you want them and it's positioned where you want.

Once satisfied, remove and weld up the cuts. Grind smooth and make sure the holster used will fit. I had to trim a bit off the width for mine to fit, but made sure it's snug so it doesn't pull off too easy. Paint. Bolt in. Slide holster on. Done.

Can probably bolt the holster to the mount, but I didn't. Also, I didn't re-install the cover. It can be trimmed until it fits, but I didn't bother with it.
That looks great! For the time investment you definitely saved some money, and it's nice to be able to say you built it yourself!

For those of you who want something similar but don't want to fab it, we have a few gun mounts by Condition Zero that seem to work well.

Nice Job, OP!

-Ryan

·
Registered
566 Posts
Excellent work! That M&P a 9, .40, or .45? (you will be judged haha)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks great! For the time investment you definitely saved some money, and it's nice to be able to say you built it yourself!

For those of you who want something similar but don't want to fab it, we have a few gun mounts by Condition Zero that seem to work well.

Nice Job, OP!

-Ryan
I had looked at those, mainly Item # J101893. It states 4dr and I have a 2dr. So for $115. I didn't feel like trying to see if it'd work.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I had looked at those, mainly Item # J101893. It states 4dr and I have a 2dr. So for $115. I didn't feel like trying to see if it'd work.
I hear you! I don't know what is different in that area from 2 to 4 door but I'll have to take a look. Your version came out great!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I saw that in another post. Thanks for the write up. I don't understand how the holder mounts to the steel. Is it inside the holster next to the pistol or is it attached to the outside of the holster, like a belt loop or something?

Nice idea. I might make something similar for my CB mic but on the passenger side.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that in another post. Thanks for the write up. I don't understand how the holder mounts to the steel. Is it inside the holster next to the pistol or is it attached to the outside of the holster, like a belt loop or something? Nice idea. I might make something similar for my CB mic but on the passenger side.
The holster is one of the cheapie nylon ones. It has the belt loop on both sides and is double loop, for lack of better terminology. The mount goes through the vertical loop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I see, thanks. I have a soft holster. I'll have to see if it has the vertical loop.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great start, thanks.
Now if I could just find something as good for a rifle or 2.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Nice! Wish I could do this here in Comm-necticut.

Although this close to the parking brake, I'd be afraid of grabbing the wrong one...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why would you transition from a CCW holster to a car holster? Is the CCW holster uncomfortable?
Have you done live fire out of your car? Be it with a IWB or car holster? In a high stress situation you may sweep right across both legs. Bad mojo.

What about a roll over accident? Will the handgun stay in that off body holster?
Not a convo I would want to have with the responding LEO about a missing loaded handgun But that is just me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts