Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new Hard Rock JKU and wonder which is the best quality winch?
It would be nice to have one that was super strong and light weight..
Is there such a beast..Holy Grail?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I've got a new Hard Rock JKU and wonder which is the best quality winch? It would be nice to have one that was super strong and light weight.. Is there such a beast..Holy Grail?
I think everyone will tell you the premium Warns (cti series and Zeon platinum) are the best of the best. I've also seen the Warn power plant crammed in a Hard Rock Bumper which gives you the air compressor along with the winch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For me it is the 8274. Strong, fully rebuildable, fast, external brake works great with synthetic lines, tons of mods available.

Downside: fairly heavy, no off the shelf bumpers are direct bolt up, expensive if you buy new, blocks a fair bit of radiator if don't sink the damn thing like God intended...

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
8274, I'm getting a custom bumper sometime before spring. The winch is rebuilt and ready to go.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a Warn Zeon 10-s Platinum. I love this thing, for me it's probably the "holy grail" although I would also like to have a Mile Marker hydraulic winch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a Warn Zeon 10-s Platinum. I love this thing, for me it's probably the "holy grail" although I would also like to have a Mile Marker hydraulic winch.
I have a mile marker on the front of my f150. With the stock pump, meh. With the belt driven 20 gpm pump running 2000psi bypass, now we are talking. Faster than my 8274 and doesn't bog a bit. Speed control is via manual spool, more you push the faster she goes...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Warn is king

·
Registered
44 Posts
My husband won't let me get anyting BUT a WARN. 8274 is overkill for us but I'm good for a 9.5 cti-s - that's on my build list. When it comes to winches . .. seems like WARN is protocol - Kinda like Maytag I guess sort of. I dunno. In any case, I'm obligated to get a WARN. And besides, how could I go wrong with a WARN winch?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I have the SmittyBilt X20 Gen2 Comp 12k, and I like it quite a bit...

If I went the Warn route, I would have picked the ZEON 12-S Platinum.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That 8274 looks to be a real good winch but man is it ugly!!
So there is really no such thing as a lighter weight winch for obvious reasons..
I want to keep my Hard Rocj number in front I think unless I can come up with a lighter setup with a better winch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They're all the same shit. Get one with a good warranty and you'll be fine. "Oh but you want to make sure it doesn't break down when you're on the trail" it's an electronic, so shit will happen with all brands.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Who put a 8274 on a Jk ? I've never seen it. I want to know if you guys recommending it has one on your JKs. Also, ALL warn winches are rebuildable, not just the 8274. Warn make all parts for every winch they have ever made. I know, I just rebuilt one, how many here has done that ? Anyway, Warn Zeon Platinum

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
They're all the same shit. Get one with a good warranty and you'll be fine. "Oh but you want to make sure it doesn't break down when you're on the trail" it's an electronic, so shit will happen with all brands.

Absolutely untrue. The electronics in the better brands are higher quality and are better protected.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts