Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I installed my DIY posi lok per a popular write up here on the forum after discovering some missing sections of vacuum line near the actuator. Though I have had it successfully engage multiple times, I'm finding it more and more difficult to pull the handle, to the point I can't get 4WD to engage at all now. I've checked to ensure that the cable isn't locked, had it all apart 3 times to ensure there's no binding anywhere (fork action via lever seems fine when disassembled and off the collar)....am I missing something? A little disappointed after arriving at our wheeling destination last weekend only to find I was not going to get 4WD to engage. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I bought the posi-lok kit and mine acted the same way. smooth as butter when I first got it and increasingly harder as it aged. found out mine was the cable was close enough to the motor that the heat dried out the lube. So I had to dismantle the cable and used a dry graphite powder to lube it. Got it from a Honda motorcycle shop, they use it for clutch cables. Back to working great again, until I got tired of all the bullshit of have to engage the t-case, then getting the cable to engage the front end.

Went to the TJ solid axles in the front. Comes with the larger u-joints and no worries if its in 4wd or not.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
It makes a big difference. And the heat wont affect it.

When I unhooked my cable it moved freely before I used the graphite lube, so I didn't think that was it. After I lubed it with the graphite I could hold the housing and the cable would fall through. Silky smooth operation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the DIY route with a locking cable from Napa auto, I could not route the cable in achy that wouldn't make it bind up. I could get it to engage, but it felt like I was going to rip the damn handle off the cable. I had it installed for about 3 days, then I ripped it out and put 1 PC shafts in with the " larger" ujoint and modded them to take a full circle c clip.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I recommends that you change the fork. May try that. I'm getting one for mine soon and I have to change the one on mine ,as directions recommendations. Lots more reliable that vacuum. Good and simple upgrade.

·
Registered
303 Posts
until I got tired of all the bullshit of have to engage the t-case, then getting the cable to engage the front end. Went to the TJ solid axles in the front. Comes with the larger u-joints and no worries if its in 4wd or not.
I don't want to hi-jack this thread but could you give the pros and cons of switching to the TJ solid axles. I have the posi lock cable kit but if the axle swap a better option will leave it sealed in the box. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack this thread but could you give the pros and cons of switching to the TJ solid axles. I have the posi lock cable kit but if the axle swap a better option will leave it sealed in the box. Thanks
Pros: no wondering if it's engaged
Larger ujoints
More likely to find a spare on the trail
Cons: driveshaft will spin at all times
Have to add a seal at the diff

The cons arent really cons in my opinion. Grind the new ears to clerance them for full circle c clips and your set. If donor TJ's are hard to come by, you can also use xj shafts, but make sure you look for the bigger ujoints.

Hijack off!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If changing axles is not possible now, you can slide the fork over and keep it engaged full time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts