Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want a set of 1/2" lift booms for the rear, but I dont want to pay the $100+ price tag. So I came across this....

Went to the local steel shop got a killer deal on a piece of 84"x5" 3/8" Flat bar for $20 thats enough material to do 6 pairs.

Following the blue print i cut one out of wood then got my over all mesurement of 7.25"

Next I cut two 7 1/4" section of the steel and welded the two of the corners together. Drilled all three holes and cut the weld.

Redrew the patter on both peices of steel and attacked it with my grinder. Few cut off wheels later this is what I had.

I know my grinder skillz need work but they will work just fine. Im going to get me a plasma cutter after this. Tomorrow will tackle the other pair.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice man! Great work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks good! I am wooking on a pair myself. Cut mine out on a band saw but they don't look as good. What are you gonna use for middle spacers?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some 1" tubing im going to weld in the center

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wouldn't weld the center tube in, after years of them being on, you might run into issues of the bolts rusting to the bushings, easier if you can take one side off and beat on the other with a hammer to remove them in the future..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't weld the center tube in, after years of them being on, you might run into issues of the bolts rusting to the bushings, easier if you can take one side off and beat on the other with a hammer to remove them in the future..
I dont see that being an issue. The bushings have a metal sleeve that the bolt goes through. My jeep had shackles that had the center bar welded. The Jeep sat in the PO's field for 7 years before I bought it.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
So I want a set of 1/2" lift booms for the rear, but I dont want to pay the $100+ price tag. So I came across this....
Any chance you still have this photo and can post it or send it to me some other way?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sorry for the delay I don't check this site often any more after I sold my YJ for a yota.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol it's more Chevy then Toyota.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still more work to be done but it's almost ready to crawl

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Haha that looks like a little bit of everything.

Anyway, thanks for the prints. I've calculated I can make 4 pairs of shackles for $50. 1/4" steel with a 5/8" rod flush mounted and welded to the center support.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Whats the difference between the boomerang shackles and the straight ones?
Say you're wheeling and extend one leaf spring to the point where the spring inverts. This is what it looks like...

Inverting the spring/shackle will damage the leaf spring permanently, if you're lucky enough not to snap the main leaf.

A boomerang shackle is shaped just how it sounds. With that stud/bolt in the center, it will hit the frame before it can invert. Look at this photo...

Now don't be this guy...

That defeats the point of a boomerang shackle. He has no bolt in the center. I want to make my own and it'll be cheaper and easier to just weld a round rod in the center.

There may be some sort of kinetic energy transfer that also prevents inverting, but it's really the center bolt that eliminates inverting (unless it goes through your frame).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts