Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few diy hi lift jack hood mounts on here and took from some to create my own redneck mod version... I paid maybe 20$ for everything. Heres a list of supplies- (everything was bought from home depot and did not have to cut any metal) 2 brackets that attach to the jeep hood brackets (these can be found in the hinge and drawer handle section in home depot) 4 5/16 1.5'' bolts and polyurethane washers and regular cut metal washers for hood brackets (attach mount to hood), 1 36''x 2'' or 2.5'' iron sheet metal (not sure where these were, just search the store and youll find em), 3/16 metal drill bit and rivets to attach metal brackets to the 36'' x 2'' iron, 3/8 metal drill bit for lock hole and holes to attach lift to mount, and also for holes in the 2 brackets that attach to the hood, 2 2.5'' 3/8 bolts and wingnuts that attach jack to mount, 4 3/8 rubber grommets that i put on the underside of the 2.5'' bolts (this gave a more "snug" fit when locking the wing nuts down on the jack)... i also painted the mount with some left over por 15 that i had from a herculainer job i did on the tub. and a master lock to lock the thing to the mount..

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres a pic of underside where the 3/8 rubber grommets are,,, let me know if you have any ques!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Clever, looks pretty sturdy!
What do the grommets do?

You say the two brackets were pre-bent?

Hard to tell, did they have four holes each?

I might could use them for other stuff too.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yea the thing doesnt wiggle or shift or make any noise at all,,, i think the rubber grommets really helped with this.. as i locked down the wingnuts i could really feel the grommets compressing which gave it a really snug tight fit.. not sure if snug is the right word just gotta try it to see what i mean. of course you can do it without these but i think they may also act as a kind of mini shock absorber if you hit a bump because everything is not metal on metal.. maybe redundant but theyre like 30 cents and i do believe they help.. as far as the brackets... yes they were pre bent and came with 4 original holes but none of these holes are of any use for what i did. the holes that it came with were the 4 holes on the top of the bracket that are in the corners.. i drilled the holes that are between these pre drilled holes as well as the 2 on the bottom part of the bracket that attaches to the hood... i went to home depot kind of blindly without a blueprint or anything. when i saw these brackets i was pretty surprised at how perfect they were for what i had in mind... you can see my marks on the brackets and iron.. lining up the holes to drill was the toughest part... and lie the hi lift on the 36'' iron piece and mark where the holes for the lift and lock will line up.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I saw these brackets at Lowe's today. Look like they're pretty strong for many uses.

They were listed for use in blocking a door shut, with a 2"x4" board. You slide the board through from one side to the other.

There were also some similar brackets where you just drop the board down in the brackets.

These might be nice to mount facing away from each other. Then you could wrap stuff around them. Ropes, air hose for OBA, welding leads, jumper cables ETC.

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
So the jack is resting on the strip of metal and you have a holed drilled into that where you secure it with the lock? It's probably a stupid question but I really like the idea and just couldn't tell how the jack was secured.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i drilled a hole in the long strip of metal, and thats where the lock is through.. be sure you line the lift up to the long metal piece before drilling and mark the metal where youll drill so.. 3 holes total in the long peice, 2 for the bolts with wingnuts that secure the lift to mount and 1 for the lock..

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Got it. Thanks for the idea and for sharing it. That's a hell of alot cheaper then the mounts you see advertised.

Great write up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wanted 2 keep the Weight/Center of gravity LOW so I just took a Diamond Drill Bit and mounted it on the rear bumper and got rid of the plastic side caps. Door opens fine... Cable Locked 2...

Good inexpensive way though... Personal preferance some show vs function...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kudos and Questions

Great looking work. I've been looking for a good way to do this and have seen several examples that worked but . . . you know.

Two questions I have before I go off and duplicate this on my Jeeps:
1) How does it keep from blocking the washer spray nozzle?
2) Did you have to do anything special to keep any part of the jack from hitting something when the hood was raised?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
could u put different angle pics? becuz i'd love to make it for a shovel but i aint getting how to secure it down..

excellent work !!

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
thanx !!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn sorry guys havent been on in a while-- 1st to answer your 2 ques... 1) it is in front of the spray nozzels so doesnt get in way at all... ill post diff angles that clearly depicts this in morn.... 2)i am able to raise hood about half way but the foot lookin part on the jack gets in way at that point im thinkin that if i flip it around it may not block... for the post after that- i already have brackets to attach a shovel on top. i have a short shovel so this works. if your shovel is longer thn 2 feet the lock will get in the way. but if youre wheelin you dont need a lock---- ill post those as well- its regular u brackets... buckshot said-"There are brackets available at home centers for the purpose of mounting electrical conduit. They work well for mounting small shovels. You might want to use wing nuts." this may be what im talkin bout too- i did use wings as well.... does this answer for now? any other ques? pics to come tomrw

1 - 20 of 45 Posts