Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first time jeep owner first time thread poster,
I currently do not have a garage to take my hard top off and store it. My wife is too weak to help take off the top. so i was thinking about designing a simple frame where I can back my jeep under hook up the hard top and drive back out.:dance: SO just wondering if anyone has done anything like this already and i would be interested in seeing others designs. hopefully someone has plans and a bill of material waiting for me lol. Also does anyone foresee any problems with this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just finished this contraption to pick the roof top tent off the roof of my cherokee since it's too tall to fit in my garage
I can help you build something similar but it'll vary depending on your situation
Harbor freight also sells a gantry crane that might work for you

·
Registered
37 Posts
4 eye bolts and 4 rachet straps.....screw the eye bolts into the joists and hook the rachet straps to the eye bolts...I have $32 in my "lift" and it takes me about 10 minutes to take the top off or put it on my 2012 two door.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the ideas, remember i DO NOT have the garage. I am sketching up some rough ideas and will hopefully post them in the morning so check back. I will like input more once design is done.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I didn't. But that's the only picture that I have. With a little ingenuity, it can be converted to a rig that could be used outside of a garage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think your frame will work fine. Build it out of 2x4's. Just make sure you have sufficient triangular bracing so it doesn't rack on you. Make it high enough and it will serve as a framed garage of sorts. You could easily use ratchet straps to lift the top and leave it hanging outside while you go topless or soft top. Throw a tarp over the whole thing and secure it with shock cords if you want protection from the weather.

My video will show first time top-lifters approximately how much effort it takes to wrestle these things around, whatever method you choose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree I need to beef up the design to make it sturdy. I was also thinking the tarp idea basically make a mini garage for he back end of my jeep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts