Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made their own limb risers for their TJ or LJ? Im tired of getting some free pin-stripping from the local trees and I don't feel like spending $80+ for a name brand when I feel like it's something that can be made at home for a lot cheaper with supplies from your local Tractor Supply or Home Depot. Any ideas are welcome, but I'm looking for the least molesting way (no drilling into my Jeep) to install and build some limb risers.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You could attach to the top of the hood clamps on bottom but I don't know what to attach to up by the roof.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You've got that sweet Gobi Rack. I would attach to that. I've seen others attach to the hood clamps on the other end.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could attach to the top of the hood clamps on bottom but I don't know what to attach to up by the roof.
You've got that sweet Gobi Rack. I would attach to that. I've seen others attach to the hood clamps on the other end.
Yeah that seems to be a popular option, just a matter how or what to use to attach to the hood clamps. For the roof, I'm actually thinking about using some sort of shackle or D-ring to attach to the bars of my roof rack, of coarse I probably should have stated having a roof rack in my original comment haha. I need to look and see where I can attach the shackle to where it doesn't slide along the bar, although, I'm sure there is some sort of enclosed space up along the bars that I might be able to use.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I think I'm going to take a few photos and do a little sketching to figure out a way to attach the upper links. I might actually be able to attach a shackle to the sun roof insert. I'll post my sketched ideas on the thread when I have them done

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you don't want them to be permanent just get a length of cable twice as long as you need. Make a small loop on each end. Loop it around the hood latch and the roof bar and bring the ends together and attach them with a shackle. One continuous loop around both attachment points.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never heard of Limb Risers until I just looked it up, seen this online.
Limb Risers

Looks very simple, can't see you have any issues in rigging a small set up
That's a pretty nice simple setup, only problem is that it doesn't really give a good idea of a way to hook up the lower cable. Looks like they did it on a Cherokee or some sort of LR. The rings they used wouldn't hook up on our jeeps the same way (lower cable) so another bracket or shackle would have to be drawn up

·
Registered
688 Posts
Maybe unbolt the hood latch brackets and make up a small bracket that slids in under your hood latch and has a loop on it? that way, no drilling and as easy as removing the fender latch or hood latch to install / remove.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe unbolt the hood latch brackets and make up a small bracket that slids in under your hood latch and has a loop on it? that way, no drilling and as easy as removing the fender latch or hood latch to install / remove.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Alot of the name brand products use the same setup as do people who do it homemade. I think I'll get a few measurements off the hood latch brackets and make a run to a local hardware store to see what they have. I'm hoping that all I'll have to do is buy a precut bracket and then just do some minor cutting and hole punching to make it work, then of coarse treating/painting to prevent rust.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah that would work, or maybe even size up something like a simple L bracket you can buy, cut it down to size and install a small shackle on it? If you are any good at cutting metal or bending metal , shouldn't be hard . Take some pics of it too, so someone may follow your idea in the future

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take some pics of it too, so someone may follow your idea in the future
That's my plan. I'm hoping to devise a cheap mod that avoids having to pay the extra fee that name brands charge that actually has a very good purpose in protecting your vehicle. Plus I love the look. Looks..."overlandish".

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you slide anything too thick between your hood latch and the fender I would think it wouldn't close the hood as tight. Just my thoughts tho

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you slide anything too thick between your hood latch and the fender I would think it wouldn't close the hood as tight. Just my thoughts tho
Correct. That's why I'm checking the kits online to see the thickness of the brackets they use. I would imagine I wouldn't want to use anything thicker than 3/16", 1/4" maybe but I feel like that's stretching it. That's why I'm still considering attaching the lower cable to my bumper, by drilling an eyebolts into the tubes (I don't mind drilling my bumper, just drilling into my Jeep's body:)). They would of course need to be raised in order to make sure the cables clear the fenders and hood.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'll have to get back will yall later about this idea and project. The Jeep is back in rehab so hopefully in a week I'll be able to start posting some more ideas that could lead me in the right direction

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 1984105

Well here is what I have sketched out. The bracket for the hood clamp bracket still needs to be figured out after I get some measurements. Then my friend said that once I have a bracket designed, he can mill it out...for FREE! Then connect to the hood clamp bracket, I will use a 9/32" Open Clip that is then attached to the wire. The wire will be help in place with Wire Clamps. From there I will have my several feet of wire (not exactly sure and will have to measure. I plan on cutting more than I need because I can always trim down if I need to) that will then attach to a Stainless Steel Caribeener, again with the wire attached by using a Wire Clip. The Caribeener will then be hooked onto a Stainless Steel Eye Bolt. The Eye Bolt will be replacement for an existing 3/8" bolt used to hold the rack in the place. This is just currently an idea. I went to a hardware store today just to pick my brain and come up with ideas so let me know what you think.

Side notes:
-Again the Hood Clamp bracket still needs to be drawn up
-Not sure whether to use bare Galvanized wire or Coated Galvanized Wire, learning towards Coated for the security blanket effect to avoid rust
-Wire will be 1/8"
-plan on spray painting most of the bolts, clamps, and clips with a semi gloss black
-I believe the bolts to hold in the current hood clamps are either 1/4" or 5/16" but again I need to double check

1 - 18 of 18 Posts