Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to throw down on a JKini top for my '12 Rubi 2Dr. After looking at a few different shades (and a few beers), I had one of those "I can build that" moments.

Parts:
6ft of shade from Home Depot garden section(nearly double what was needed) - $7
Red Bungee Balls from Wally World - about $5-6
Grommet Kit from Wally World - about $5
Six-pack of Pacifico

Borrowed a buddy's sewing machine to sew a 1" hem around the sides for reinforcement. This took forever as I'm not much of a sewer/seam-stress---- whatever the guy equivalent is!
Total time invested: 2hrs

If anyone's interested, I can post the dimensions. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd be contributive. Haven't had it out on the interstate yet, but at 75mph I don't have much flapping.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interezting and Good Work!If the grommets start pulling loose, the next one you make use an extra piece of fabric(doubled is good) sew it where the grommets go. This will reinforce it. Use a zigzag stitch.
Alas, I have the sewing machines and the knowhow, but since I'm not home much, I'm ordering a Spideyweb.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
This took forever as I'm not much of a sewer/seam-stress---- whatever the guy equivalent is!
Tailor :D

Looks good. That's cheap enough to throw away when/if it tears. Next time, trade some older lady some yard work or snow shoveling (winter) for her sewing skills. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks every one!

Interezting and Good Work!If the grommets start pulling loose, the next one you make use an extra piece of fabric(doubled is good) sew it where the grommets go. This will reinforce it. Use a zigzag stitch.
Alas, I have the sewing machines and the knowhow, but since I'm not home much, I'm ordering a Spideyweb.
Did double stitching where I folded and hemmed it. Buddy of mine suggested the reinforcement for the grommets too. Hopefully this will hold (at least for the summer) but hey, you live and you learn! ;)
Ended up paying the friend with the sewing machine back with my excess shading and leftover grommets (enough for a whole other top) to do one for his YJ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.