Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished my swing out tire carrier this weekend. I used 2x2 square tubing, 3/8 in steel plate for the mounts, #8 bolts (5/8") for the hinges with bushings, welded locking pins for the two latch pins, mount for two Jerry Cans and a cable to lock the tire/jerry cans down. Came out pretty nice. It's extremely strong too.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks good, I love to fabricate practical things, this is awesome. I have a question that is unrelated. Why cover your license plate? It's not like it's not visible to the public on a daily basis. I'm curious because I post photos all the time with my tag visible. Am I putting myself at a risk I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
511 Posts
That thing looks strong as hell...nice work! :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'm glad you all like the carrier. I designed it this way so that there are "four" mounting points instead of the "one" that looks like a spindle on the bumper. I'm sure those are good, but I have seen a couple that have snapped. So, I figured I'd do mine with four mounting points (two hinges on the right and two locking pins on the left).

As far as covering up my license plate. Well you never know if there is a "bad apple" out there that will look you up via your license plate number and go shopping at your house when you're at work (or worse....when the wife or kids are home alone). I know that sounds paranoid to some, but I've seen things like that happen....especially with the career I have (for over 26 years now). It's better to be safe than sorry.

I started on my rollcage today too (cut out all the tubing that I'll be using). Hopefully I'll have that completed within two weekends. Wish me luck! haha

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know that sounds paranoid to some, but I've seen things like that happen....especially with the career I have (for over 26 years now). It's better to be safe than sorry.

I
And you have the GPS turned off on your photos your Exif data is clean on the photos you posted and there safe... Smart Man :bop:

Only thing available in the photos you posted, is that they were taken with a Apple iPhone 4S :happyyes:

BTW love the swing out rack... bonus 2 jerry cans = WINNING!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerry cans for my swingout tire carrier

Well, today the Fed Ex guy delivered my two Jerry Cans. I'm going to paint them red and mount them this weekend. I'm also going to fab up a latch/locking mechanism for the cans and the lids so no one can steel my cans or the gas (when I have gas in them). I'll post pics when I get that finished. I also started on my roll cage this week. So far so good. Oh yeah, I got the two jerry cans from walmart for 65 bucks delivered to my house. They are the same size as the red one I have mounted in the pics, and they're metal just like the red one I have. They also came with the nozzles (one each).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
It looks great and seems very solidly built.

My only question is with the spare spaced that far back isn't it going to be like a counter balance ? I like to keep things high and tight, I didn't even leave enough room between my spare and the tail gate for my high lift jack. lol

I guess maybe I do a lot more off camber trails than most, I personally wouldn't want my spare that far behind me. But it looks good none the less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts