Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my '15 Willys back in December. Upon ordering they wanted a $500 deposit, which I wrote a check for, and was told they would simply hold the check and return it to me upon purchase when the vehicle arrived. While I was waiting for arrival, I noticed on my bank statement they went ahead and cashed the check. It was in no danger of bouncing, but I mentioned it to my salesman. He said they "accidentally" cashed it. No big deal, mistakes happen. HOWEVER, when I took delivery of the Jeep, I was taken into a room with a different guy who did the obligatory "let me tell you why you should buy the extended warranty, blah blah blah." He then went on to tell me that since they "accidentally" cashed my deposit check, all I'd have to do is give them another $100+ and I'd be "fully coverd." I declined and they finally refunded my deposit, but I couldn't help but think it was all a tactic, and the check was purposely cashed to make it "easier" to convince me to buy the extended warranty. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sounds like a shady tactic. If they just left it at "sorry, we accidentally cashed it" and then wrote you a check on delivery (or took the $500 off whatever your deposit was going to be) then I'd say maybe an honest mistake. But sticking you in the room with the finance guy trying to sell you the extended warranty and it'd "only be $100 more" reeks of dirty tactics. I'd be pissed. I am so glad that my dealer had no problem pre-printing all of my paperwork and didn't have to sit through that mess.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Sounds like a shady tactic. If they just left it at "sorry, we accidentally cashed it" and then wrote you a check on delivery (or took the $500 off whatever your deposit was going to be) then I'd say maybe an honest mistake. But sticking you in the room with the finance guy trying to sell you the extended warranty and it'd "only be $100 more" reeks of dirty tactics. I'd be pissed. I am so glad that my dealer had no problem pre-printing all of my paperwork and didn't have to sit through that mess.
This x100. Shady ass dealer. Stay the hell away from them.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I have always had the dealer cash my deposit check within the normal business time frame.

I never had one claim they would just stick it in a drawer or something. IMHO, that would be a shady business practice.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have always had the dealer cash my deposit check within the normal business time frame.

I never had one claim they would just stick it in a drawer or something. IMHO, that would be a shady business practice.
I would typically expect a dealer to cash my deposit as well, but if the promise was that the check would be held and then they pulled what they did, then that doesn't make it seem like they were being honest. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
705 Posts

I was told up front that my ($400) deposit would be held. When I came in to pick up the Jeep, they asked if I wanted it back or applied to cost. I took it back and tore it up... CG

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Shady tactic for sure!!!

I have worked in dealerships and been around a lot of Used Dealerships when I was younger(gfs dad owned one and i worked with him for many years)

So I seen a lot of shady tactics, it was a good life lesson and eye opener when I was in my late teens.

I took what I learned from it and applied it to my Jeep purchase. I bought a fully loaded Rubicon, built to order so I had a month and a half to play it all out.

So I started by agreeing to the $1800 undercoat and "paint protection" and said I was going to get disability and life insurance.

So thinking they were going score huge and all kinds of add ons it allowed them to give me almost $8000 in options and upgrades. Plus it was also the end of the month near the end of the 2014 build cycle and they were trying make make some quick sales to fill there quota.

Come time when my jeep finally arrived and I went in to sign the papers. I declined the there $1800 undercoat scam and insurance and few other bs gimmicks lol.

They were so pissed and I walked away laughing ;)

Can't pull shit a bullshitter ;)

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Shady tactic for sure!!! I have worked in dealerships and been around a lot of Used Dealerships when I was younger(gfs dad owned one and i worked with him for many years) So I seen a lot of shady tactics, it was a good life lesson and eye opener when I was in my late teens. I took what I learned from it and applied it to my Jeep purchase. I bought a fully loaded Rubicon, built to order so I had a month and a half to play it all out. So I started by agreeing to the $1800 undercoat and "paint protection" and said I was going to get disability and life insurance. So thinking they were going score huge and all kinds of add ons it allowed them to give me almost $8000 in options and upgrades. Plus it was also the end of the month near the end of the 2014 build cycle and they were trying make make some quick sales to fill there quota. Come time when my jeep finally arrived and I went in to sign the papers. I declined the there $1800 undercoat scam and insurance and few other bs gimmicks lol. They were so pissed and I walked away laughing ;) Can't pull shit a bullshitter ;)
Haha I hate trying to pull shit from a bullshitter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Come time when my jeep finally arrived and I went in to sign the papers. I declined the there $1800 undercoat scam and insurance and few other bs gimmicks lol.

They were so pissed and I walked away laughing ;)

Can't pull shit a bullshitter ;)
Says a lot about you as well. Your parents must be proud of the man you've become.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would typically expect a dealer to cash my deposit as well, but if the promise was that the check would be held and then they pulled what they did, then that doesn't make it seem like they were being honest. Just my 2 cents.
I would agree. The question is did they said refundable. If you're ordering a Jeep and then don't want it when it arrives the dealership at least has the deposit for their added inventory which they may not necessarily want. Don't get me wrong, I personally always raise my eyebrow with anything that doesn't seem "right".

Glad you got your money back.

I'm dealing with a credit deposit to get back after they said they would cancel the charge. Had to dispute the charge with my CC company. Such a hassle now...

·
Registered
111 Posts
It could have been an honest mistake. Sometimes, the dealer will take your check and hold it in your folder. Unfortunately, the dealerships office will see it when processing your deal and deposit it not knowing it was supposed to be held. It happens.

It looks like the finance guy was trying to capitalize on the mistake.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
all I'd have to do is give them another $100+ and I'd be fully coverd.
I want to know what kind of extended warranty they were going to sell you for a total of $600. The lifetime bumper-to-bumper is usually over $3,000 if you get it through the finance manager at your local dealer.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah, been in sales for 17yrs. A sale is nothing w out an invoice w $$ on it. They cashed it intentionally. W out that money they are just ordering a jeep for thier lot. That's what any good sales manager would think, not that they couldn't sell it and make a profit. But they want it as solid as can be.

The extra warranty guy saw you already had money out of pocket for awhile that u might not be missing in ur budget. In the customers mind the warranty is only $100, because that 500 is already gone. Many people, rt or wrong, wouldbuy the warranty in that situation.

If they hassled u about giving you the 5 spot back..then I'd be getting pissed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, been in sales for 17yrs. A sale is nothing w out an invoice w $$ on it. They cashed it intentionally. W out that money they are just ordering a jeep for thier lot. That's what any good sales manager would think, not that they couldn't sell it and make a profit. But they want it as solid as can be.

The extra warranty guy saw you already had money out of pocket for awhile that u might not be missing in ur budget. In the customers mind the warranty is only $100, because that 500 is already gone. Many people, rt or wrong, wouldbuy the warranty in that situation.

If they hassled u about giving you the 5 spot back..then I'd be getting pissed.
It's not the fact that they cashed it, it's the fact that the sales guy specifically told me they'd just hold the check and gve it back, then when it was cashed he said it was a mistake and suddenly I'm in a different office with a guy basically saying, "well, since we 'accidentally' cashed that check, have I got a deal for YOU!!!" The whole thing was just real questionable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts