Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving the Wrangler tonight the engine died. I pulled to the right side of a busy 6 lane vs 8 intersection corner. The engine would only crank and it I had to force the key back to the off position after cranking. Call Chrysler Roadside Assistance and they were very professional. Advised someone would be there within an hour. I waited for 2 hours and a tow truck arrived but it was not flatbed. Driver insisted it was okay to tow the 2015 Wrangler 2 up and 2 down. I refused and he agreed to call a flatbed. Waited another hour and decided I would try to start the Wrangler. It started after it failed to start on 4 previous attempts. I drove it home as I did not want it hoisted onto a flatbed.

Anyone have this happen?

I know it could be many different things and it is possible it will never do it again.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It sounds like an electric/electronics problem with the fuel pump, fuel injection or ECU. If it happened once it will probably happen again. It's brand new take it to the dealer. I hate saying that but it's your best choice.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
it sounds like an electric/electronics problem with the fuel pump, fuel injection or ecu. If it happened once it will probably happen again. It's brand new take it to the dealer. I hate saying that but it's your best choice.
x2.

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
A fairly simple check is see if you can tighten the clamps on the battery terminals, even if the cables feel tight. Some people have posted that theirs were apparently loose from the factory and tightening them fixed some electrical issues.

Also, the key can sometime be difficult to turn if the steering wheel is at an awkward angle. Turn the steering wheel slightly with one hand to relieve the pressure as you try turning the key with the other hand if it happens again.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
This sux. Another vote for taking it to the dealer. It's important to let them check it out so its documented and dealt with. Hopefully you have a decent dealer to work with.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As you had to force the key to the off position I would think that the problem would be in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had to spend the night at 12,600 feet on the side of a mountain in Colorado when mine acted up. Good thing we had all the camping gear in the back at the time. No body was going to come tow me. Next day it drove fine, but the dealer said the main computer was no longer computing. Swapped under warranty and no problems since.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas. It goes in tomorrow and i will let everyone know what the problem was. It has started fine today two different times but I was afraid to leave the house with it unless I am going to the dealer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll take a step further. It's sad when you can't drive your Jeep. :D
I agree. I have never had a vehicle I bought new towed unless it had over 100,000 miles. This happened with 2 different Fords.

I still like the Wrangler and hope all issues are resolved but the dealer and the Chrysler Emergency towing service have not lived up to my expectations. Maybe I a am just spoiled.

I am keeping a positive attitude at this time.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Not too long ago, faulty TIPMs were causing all manner of havoc from "possessed" horns, lights, and wipers going off on their own; to complete electrical shutdown at interstate speeds, including the loss of steering and disabling of air bags. No recall...but there is a lawsuit in progress.

More than just minor annoyances.

And now the seemingly ubiquitous oil cooler and filter housing leak that could potentially drain your new vehicle of oil.

Not confidence inspiring.

And for what it's worth...I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. I hope to buy a Sport next spring. I'm just trying to do my best to track the issues that new Wrangler owners are struggling with. They are selling so many JKs nowadays that the number of problem reports is beginning to become significant. And there are several issues that have persisted with the JK because Chrysler doesn't address them. Using aluminum door hinges on steel doors resulting in galvanic corrosion is an example.

Some of the issues are not Wrangler specific, either; they are Chrysler-Fiat fiascoes.

The issues with casting sand in the radiator and the switch from HOAT to OAT coolant is another example of a Chrysler-Fiat :censored:

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Not too long ago, faulty TIPMs were causing all manner of havoc from "possessed" horns, lights, and wipers going off on their own; to complete electrical shutdown at interstate speeds, including the loss of steering and disabling of air bags. No recall...but there is a lawsuit in progress.

More than just minor annoyances.

And now the seemingly ubiquitous oil cooler and filter housing leak that could potentially drain your new vehicle of oil.

Not confidence inspiring.

And for what it's worth...I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. I hope to buy a Sport next spring. I'm just trying to do my best to track the issues that new Wrangler owners are struggling with. They are selling so many JKs nowadays that the number of problem reports is beginning to become significant. And there are several issues that have persisted with the JK because Chrysler doesn't address them. Using aluminum door hinges on steel doors resulting in galvanic corrosion is an example.

Some of the issues are not Wrangler specific, either; they are Chrysler-Fiat fiascoes.

The issues with casting sand in the radiator and the switch from HOAT to OAT coolant is another example of a Chrysler-Fiat :censored:
Very sorry to hear what happened to the OP.

But this is no Chrysler-Fiat fiasco! For all we know, and after 800 miles, the dealer may not have PDI-ed the vehicle properly --e.g., loose battery connection, etc.

I have owned Chrysler-era Jeeps, Daimler-era Jeeps, and FCA-era Jeeps and I still have to have been stranded on the side of the road.

I am now on my sixth Wrangler, and I have learn that "confidence" comes from its capability, not from subscribing to Consumer Reports.

If you feel skiddish about buying a Jeep because you are keeping tabs of what we write on here in our spare time, then I suggest you get a Toyota Corolla instead; it will give you all the peace of mind you want --and "all" the fun that comes with it, too.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
aldo-

If you don't consider the HOAT-OAT transition a fiasco, then you are in denial.
Just because you weren't affected by it, doesn't minimize the nightmare it was for many Wrangler owners.

It's nice that you haven't had any problems with your Wranglers. I'm hoping I don't, either. But your cavalier attitude does a disservice to the people who are dealing with these problems.

I'm here to try and inform and help; I'm not so sure you are.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree. I have never had a vehicle I bought new towed unless it had over 100,000 miles. This happened with 2 different Fords.

I still like the Wrangler and hope all issues are resolved but the dealer and the Chrysler Emergency towing service have not lived up to my expectations. Maybe I a am just spoiled.

I am keeping a positive attitude at this time.
You drive 6.0 ford diesel aka "Sick-liter" so you must be used to issues... Kidding! sort of. ;)

Stuff happens and not every rig off the line is perfect no matter the brand. Unfortunately things like this can sour someone on a brand or vehicle. Hopefully the service you get from the dealer will help and fix it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yup, Jeep build quality and reliability are total crap. I blame the UAW. I have a built 2003 4Runner V8 with 270,000 on it. If I had to chose one to drive to California it would be the 4Runner. My 2014 JKUR is so I can put the top down with the kids.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I can beat that. I bought a 2015 Toyota Sienna for the wife in January. We made it 138 miles and the tranny went out. I had to push it out of the garage just to get it onto the alleyway so it could be flat bedded off. We owned the van for 2.5 hours before its first major warranty work. Almost a month later we finally got it back. It was frustrating as all heck but in the end Toyota made it right. I got some compensation for our troubles plus an 8yr/125K $0 deductible warranty. Now the wife is not happy because she is stuck with the same vehicle until 2023 ;). J/K, she loves this van more than her old Honda so it paid off in the end even though the first 20+ days of ownership in our first ever Toyota was rough.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts