Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There are several great options. Most agree the two most cost effective are just using the Daystar urethane replacements for the OEM rubber straps or installing latches from a new JL Wrangler. Drake and Rugged Ridge also make good replacement latches.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
My vote is the search button.....

Reactions: Haust and Silentfoe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Search button is a great Idea! I've just seen so much different stuff out there with so many different prices. I travel on the Gulf Coast a lot and when I'm crossing bays on high bridges my hood hops like crazy. I want to eliminate hood hop or at least minimize it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There are a lot of posts on this subject, but the four most popular responses are:

Daystar: basically a better rubber band, but very cost effective.

JL latch: What comes standard with the new JL Jeeps. Retrofitable and very good from all reports.

Rugged Ridge: Very good. Probably the latch of choice prior to the release of the JL latches. I have the RR latch in textured black and I'm very happy with them.

Drake: Good looking. They have the cable and pin system reminiscent of the '70s muscle cars.

·
Registered
595 Posts
JL latches

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I bought the Kentrol latches from Quadratec, and while I love their design... They faded extremely quick. Kind of disappointing for latches I paid $130 for.

If I was doing it again, I'd go JL latches.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Interesting this guy didn’t even drill or trim the plastic piece on the jl latches.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I still like the look of those.
I like them too. They’re made of aluminum and stainless steel. You can also adjust them perfectly. However after two winters in Canada the paint started to disintegrate. So I sand blasted them (it cost me pretty much the same as the new set) and now I’m planning to paint them again. We’ll see how it goes.

JeepLatch.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the JL latches as well. Will pick up a set soon to replace my faded ones.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Interesting this guy didn’t even drill or trim the plastic piece on the jl latches.

https://youtu.be/PPF_jw30mv4
Yeah, forcing the tabs back into the product while you crank down on the bolt? Nah, I'll stick by my suggestion of cutting off the tabs. Cutting them off is reasonably easy- it's just plastic. Use heavy duty scissors, diagonal wire cutters, etc... The top part of the fender assembly will help keep alignment with the fender to ensure it's on correctly.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts