Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is actually necessary to do a hood level water fording? Snorkel, breathers, sealing, etc? Have never attempted more than a creek fording and understand that without modding that even that can cause problems for a stocker. But what would I really do if I wanted my jeep to be able to withstand a "one car too far" hood deep river excursion?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Buy a small boat and a roof rack to put it on! Haha j/k
^What He Said... LOL

Hood Level? Really?

A snorkel will work for the intake, but what will you do with the breathers on the trans, and drive train? Then you will have to get a wet suit for yourself, not to mention if the water hits the clock spring and shuts your rig down completly!!!

Good Luck!

50 Something

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh, just below. Lets say above door sills at least...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well extend breathers get a snorkel and punch it through some what see what happens if it breaks it didn't work if it doesn't u know have a boatjeep or a jeepboat or a joat or a beep no theres just no good names

·
Registered
876 Posts
Eh, just below. Lets say above door sills at least...
In that case no mods are really needed. You might want to look at the breather tube extentions for the trans and diffs?

50 Something

·
Registered
290 Posts
Jeeps love over hood water crossings I tried it once on accident river rose from ice melt after a camping trip on the other side of the river. Somehow she stayed running to this day I don't know how stock airbox, problems that followed, clutch problems clutch would not work at all for the rest of the day, added two gallons of sandy water into my transmission, (I still having trans problems a year later) both diffs full of water, sandy water in my fuel tank killed my pump a week later killed my cb and radio, also my camera and cell phone that were in my center console. . Its crazy how fast water will come in the cab came through the door seals flowing like crazy through the shifter boots. Worst decision I ever made but go for it you might make it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts