Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my jk on its first road trip, is it normal for the stock hood latches to allow the hood to lift when large oncoming vehicles pass? Are there any hood locks that would hold it down tighter?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This is known as "Hood Flutter." There are many posts on the subject, and it's been an issue since day one. Common fixes (from cheapest to more expensive): 2) Remove the spring by the hood latch. 2) add a zip tie around the OE rubber hold downs. 3) Buy new Daystar hood hold downs 4) buy new Drake hood hold downs 5) Get a heavier hood (ie AEV)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Another option is the locking rampage hood locks. Secure hood, easy to install, look good, only $85 on amazon. You can see them on mine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lol, when I saw hood lifting I thought this was a thread for a ghetto/******* way to lift a jeep for cheap/free.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My wife and I still think hood flutter is a myth. Neither of our 13's have ever done it and she goes 70mph on an interstate every day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Mopar hood lock. It holds the center of the hood down pretty tight. I had hood flutter doing 65 mph into a 30 mph head wind. I thought the hood was going to fly off! Slowed down to 55 to get it to stop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife and I still think hood flutter is a myth. Neither of our 13's have ever done it and she goes 70mph on an interstate every day.
It's a wind thing. Come to Wyoming, and you're guaranteed to see it.

Both my older '10 JK and my newer '13 JKU did it driving home from the dealership.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Got it all the time. Big rigs coming at you on the single lane highway going 120km/hr . You dirty your pants when the hood starts lifting... Like it was mentioned above, removed spring and added tie straps... no more flutter.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had a 2012 Sahara and now a 2013 Rubicon. Here in Kansas both fluttered every single day. We are the #3 state for wind. I'm also blown all over the highway.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Has anyone ever had their hood latches fail and had the hood fly up into the windshield? I am not saying that it may not flutter a bit at times, but why is everyone so concerned with it? I have had 3 diff wranglers (cj, yj, jk) and never had a problem....or ever heard of a failure.
Troy

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have never seen this happen on my 12 JKU, over 12000 miles of driving at speeds of sometimes greater than 90 mph. I wonder if removing the stock airdam or lifting the Jeep exacerbates the issue?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts