Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there are 3 available at retail: the black Tuffy one, the silver one, and the replacement lockable latches.

Then there a couple of do it yourself: drill a hole in the hood latch and stick a padlock through it and the other one where you run a cable lock through the front underside of the hood and drill a hole for a padlock down at the bottom right part of the grill.

Is there anything else out there? It seems like there is a hole in the market for a good TJ hood lock. Any experience with the above options?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aerocatch is all I use.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
This Photo was posted by forum member Texas TJ.
Look at the hood locks. Reminds me of the ones I had on a corvette I once owned.
They look very secure.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
This or the Tuffy lock is all I believe you'll be able to get without doing some minor surgery to the hood.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13104_020X_PG.htm

I got a set of those, not because they locked, but because I wanted to get rid of the bouncing hood when meeting a truck on the road.

They work great, and what is nice is that once you unlock one side, just lift the corner, re lock and go to the other side. When you are done, just drop the hood, align and they lock right back in.

But they are not easy to ajust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a little lock on my tj that goes in front and under the hood, all you see in the grill hole is the lock cylinder. It blocks the hood release tab so the hood can't be raised and installs using existing holes. The good: I think it was only around $20 and is easy to install. The bad: adjustment is critical, if you tighten it down adjusted wrong you won't be able to easily open the hood...luckily you can squeeze a small wrench in the space to loosen the bolt holding the lock in place and move it so the hood can be opened. This is enough of a hassle I think it's unlikely the random thief would go to the trouble without the tools and know how.

I bought the hood lock at 4wheel parts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use the Tuffy hood lock that 1515art described above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts