Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Looking online for a good hood lock for my '00 TJ.
Had one before, pretty cheap inter-grill number that rusted out about 6 months in.
Any other variations have varying love/hate claims attached to all of them and I figured I would see what the general consensus here is.
Pictures and/or links would be helpful.

Thanks!

Snacktical

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
Hello All,

Looking online for a good hood lock for my '00 TJ.
Had one before, pretty cheap inter-grill number that rusted out about 6 months in.
Any other variations have varying love/hate claims attached to all of them and I figured I would see what the general consensus here is.
Pictures and/or links would be helpful.

Thanks!

Snacktical
I have the Rampage Locking Hood Latches - they work well and I like the look. They were a bit of a pain to install....but no drilling just awkward to reach bolts...

Rampage Page 29

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
As I said recently in a different hood lock thread, I have a pair of the Rampage locks on our JK. They worked fine for about a year and then one of them failed in the unlocked position. It would still latch but just not lock.

It was then when I found out that once Rampage has your money you no longer exist. Many email inquiries to their customer service, asking if they had any ideas on how I could get it working again, were never answered. Not even a simple, "Sorry, we do not know."

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
As I said recently in a different hood lock thread, I have a pair of the Rampage locks on our JK. They worked fine for about a year and then one of them failed in the unlocked position. It would still latch but just not lock.

It was then when I found out that once Rampage has your money you no longer exist. Many email inquiries to their customer service, asking if they had any ideas on how I could get it working again, were never answered. Not even a simple, "Sorry, we do not know."
Sorry to hear that. Mine work OK so I never tested the customer service - I think they are the only Rampage product I have. They do get a little sticky from time to time but that is because they work loose and go out of alignment. Snugging them up cures the problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
I'm originally from New York.

Bolt a chain to the bottom of your hood frame that's long enough to hang down through a hole that you cut into your radiator support with a hole saw.
Wrap the loose end around whatever is handy and secure it with something like a Kryptonite padlock. Just make sure that the chain won't interfere with your steering or any other item when the Jeep is running.

Nothing will stop a determined thief. All you can do is make it so difficult for them that they will go elsewhere.
An alarm is a real good deterrent. A loaded handgun may come in handy.

Good Luck, L.M.

P.S. if you decide to use the handgun, have a plastic shower curtain and a shovel handy.

Reactions: Outlandertjm100

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont trust locking latches. Easy to pop and deal with freezing weather. I have mopar hood lock. I have had it since 2009 and never a problem opening it. I will be changing the grill to a tyger angry grill with a mesh insert and the lock sits too high up. I have not seen a solution. Im going to try and lower with brackets and extend hook unless someone knows a better way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts