Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, anyone use this type of products. I park my car in a residential area all day while I am at work... in fact, most of this area is also at work so the area is probably easy pickings for anyone looking to snag some parts off cars. I looked on quadratec and found some hood locks.

Only question is two things, why is one brand 30 and the mopar part is 150. They look the same, is this just an example of aftermarket versus OEM parts or is there a difference in quality?

Rugged Ridge 11252.05 - Rugged Ridge Hood Lock for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

MOPAR 82210464AB - MOPAR® Hood Lock for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
The Mopar is partly more expensive because of the key coding it's model offers and its also a name brand well associated with Jeep. Other than that, if it securely locks your hood then why buy something more expensive? BTW I wish I hadn't read this thread because now I'm paranoid...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I figure for 29.99 what the hell... not a major investment.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The Rugged Ridge Lock is GOOD Quality, and comes with two keys. You'll find that the Locks guts are a bit loose, and can feel a bit cheap, compared to others you may have used.

The Mopar Lock is BEST Quality, and as mentioned above, allows your Jeep Key to be coded and used, rather than having an extra set of keys floating around. It has Brass construction and is tight, like a Lock should be. It also has a Snap-Off Dust Cover, to keep the crud out of your Lock.

When looking at the two side by side, there is really no comparison. The Mopar is a solid build quality unit.

The Mopar Unit has to be Riveted on (Dealer or Rivet Kit...), while the Rugged Ridge Unit is screwed on. Now, if you're REALLLLLY concerned about someone getting into your Hood, one Lock could be popped with a screwdriver, while the other would take a Crowbar to remove.

FYI, I have the Mopar Lock!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was always under the impression that a rivet can be placed in a screw hole, I know that my father has riveted things such as license plates (he has a vanity people like to steal) and it has worked fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dude, the majority of thefts involving cars are either smash n grabs, where they get whatever they can from the interior as fast as possible, or outright thefts, where your car goes bye-bye. It's very unlikely someone will pop your hood to snag something off your motor.
Now with that being said, I have the cheap one. Not for anything to do with security from thieves, but because my wife was worried about the hood flying up. I added it and told her that it solved the problem, so now we can both be in it on the freeway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the Mopar lock, had it installed just after the Jeep arrived, at the dealer's recomandation. Totally happy with it. Well, a couple of months later I lost the fist key while changing the washing fluid (that is such a mess to change, btw). Ever since (~1year) I allways forgot to lock it again (I have the other key, I just don't feel it's necessary). Plus, it's hard enough to open the hood allready, without any lock. That being said, I guess you did well to buy the cheaper one, chances are you're not going to use it anyway :D so you just saved some money, use it wisely :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
^no need... just take a look under the hood. Does it look like there is something there to be worth stollen? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts