Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this saturday I wake up to find my hood was stolen overnight. I had this Jeep less than 2 months. I installed the Tuffy hood lock but thieves were still able to remove it. I'm assuming they started from the hinges and lifted it just enough to remove the horn cable, then were able to work it out of the hood lock.

I'm looking for locking hood hinges? Is there such a thing, I couldn't find anything. Going to invest in a better alarm (viper) once I get my hood replaced. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, driveway faces a busy street and they still got me. Luckily my deductible is very low and Insurance will take care of hood and some of the damage caused.

Getting rid of this Tuffy lock since it didn't really provide any theft deterrent. Any other possible suggestions?

Attachments

Registered
Wow, within the last month another hood was stolen in CA per other fellow WF user thread.

Registered
There are only 3 hood locks available: Tuffy, Bolt and Mopar.
Your hood was stolen with the Tuffy.
Another user on this forum had the Bolt and the hood was stolen.
Only Mopar lock is left and nobody reported their hood stolen.
You'll hear a couple comments that the Mopar lock is the same with the Bolt lock which is not true.
So from a hood lock perspective you are limited to the Mopar lock.

Registered
Does Tuffy have some sought of deductible as well? Something your insurance can file against? Does anyone make or can someone create locking risers (maybe wrong word, but think the hydraulic piston like ones that would open your rear hatch on a hard top?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does Tuffy have some sought of deductible as well? Something your insurance can file against? Does anyone make or can someone create locking risers (maybe wrong word, but think the hydraulic piston like ones that would open your rear hatch on a hard top?
I've contacted Tuffy, waiting on a response.

Registered
So this saturday I wake up to find my hood was stolen overnight. I had this Jeep less than 2 months. I installed the Tuffy hood lock but thieves were still able to remove it. I'm assuming they started from the hinges and lifted it just enough to remove the horn cable, then were able to work it out of the hood lock.

I'm looking for locking hood hinges? Is there such a thing, I couldn't find anything. Going to invest in a better alarm (viper) once I get my hood replaced. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, driveway faces a busy street and they still got me. Luckily my deductible is very low and Insurance will take care of hood and some of the damage caused.

Getting rid of this Tuffy lock since it didn't really provide any theft deterrent. Any other possible suggestions?

Sucks man.... Sent you a PM with suggestions. Don't share them publicly as you don't want the crooks knowing and everyone's online these days. I've only been sending them to forum members who have posted stuff before.

FYI for those who were following my thread about my theft I never received a (fixit) part from bolt. And even if they do decide to send one i already installed the mopar, and I doubt their quick fix will equal the redesigned mopar one. They could still drill out a mopar but that makes a bunch of noise. Hope no one else in SoCal has this happen....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
I am very sorry to hear that. Did they gain access to the interior of the Jeep?

We have to think of the hood locks as deterrents to stop a quick and dirty battery theft or a quick and dirty way to access under the hood to disable the factory alarm. If a professional thief (or a crew of them) set their sights on steeling the Jeep or parts of it, things like hood locks are only designed to slow them down or have them choose an easier target.

Registered
Not sure I bought mine from quadratec.

Not sure which is which but here's the codes from my quadratec order.

13103 110 1 MOPAR HOOD LOCK JK 82210464AB 82213051AC

Registered
I've contacted Tuffy, waiting on a response.
I am very interested to read their response, because the hood was stolen because the hinges allowed the initial entry, not their lock.

Reactions: SOCALGAL

Registered
As I mentioned in the other thread, I wonder if they have been casing your Wrangler for a while. Possibly, stopped by on one or more previous nights, to scope out what they needed to do (saw you had a Tuffy lock, and researched how to get around it).

My point being, if they put in enough effort, and tagged your hood for their taking, IMHO, there isn't much you can do to stop them.

Registered
As I mentioned in the other thread, I wonder if they have been casing your Wrangler for a while. Possibly, stopped by on one or more previous nights, to scope out what they needed to do (saw you had a Tuffy lock, and researched how to get around it).

My point being, if they put in enough effort, and tagged your hood for their taking, IMHO, there isn't much you can do to stop them.

If you have an alarm that sends you instant notification and you're parked close there's plenty you can personally do to stop them. You also may be able to get their license plate number and report them to police.

Registered
Sucks man.... Sent you a PM with suggestions. Don't share them publicly as you don't want the crooks knowing and everyone's online these days. I've only been sending them to forum members who have posted stuff before.

FYI for those who were following my thread about my theft I never received a (fixit) part from bolt. And even if they do decide to send one i already installed the mopar, and I doubt their quick fix will equal the redesigned mopar one. They could still drill out a mopar but that makes a bunch of noise. Hope no one else in SoCal has this happen....

PM sent

I've been debating on whether or not to buy a hood lock. Starting to feel like it doesn't matter. Guess I can get that Metal Crafters grille insert now...

Reactions: bengr

Registered
PM sent

I've been debating on whether or not to buy a hood lock. Starting to feel like it doesn't matter. Guess I can get that Metal Crafters grille insert now...
It matters as much as locks on your home doors matter.
You still lock your home door, do you?

Registered
Are the hoods being stolen the new HR type or the old solid type. How many are for sale on Ebay, CL, and other on line places? Do local body shops buy "hot hoods". Thinking of etching or stamping my Vin # in mine.

Reactions: bengr
1 - 20 of 65 Posts