Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way does this scoop supposed to face? I've seen the opening facing the windshield and I've also seen it facing the front of the jeep. I'm thinking about getting one. Are they worth it?

·
Registered
688 Posts
black betty2012 said:
Which way does this scoop supposed to face? I've seen the opening facing the windshield and I've also seen it facing the front of the jeep. I'm thinking about getting one. Are they worth it?
I would assume toward wind would work better

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Windshield. It is not called a hood scoop but a cowl induction hood. Hood scoops you speak of belong on hot rods.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ohhh that little thing? lol...uhhh...who knows...I'd face it to the windshield still.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did mine towards the windshield.
Doesn't look bad. Could not trust the 3 M tape to hold it in place facing the front while I am doing 70-80 ml/hr on the highway.
My concern now is the snow. Looks like it will be somewhat difficult cleaning the snow in that area, and not jamming it in.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
You can face it either way. I faced it towards the windshield so it gets the cowl induction effect. There is enough space to get your hand inside to clear out snow.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
If these are the ones you're talking about, then toward the windshield. It's not an air intake, it's for keeping debris out.

MOPAR 135212RR - MOPAR® Hood Scoop for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Its purpose is two-fold; keep out debris and improve airflow:

Constructed of durable ABS plastic with a black painted finish. This great looking Hood Scoop gives your Jeep Wrangler JK that finished look and is designed to improve air flow and keep out debris. Easy tape-on installation takes just minutes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yea I edited my post when I realized that. Why would you want a ram-air effect going into those vents, though?

However if it's mounted facing forward, debris will still fly into it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I like the look of these better on TJ's...where that vent is in the center of the hood. It throws me off having it off center on the JK.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Better re-check your physics text books.

Laminar airflow over a vehicle hood doesn't really exist and especially in a Jeep Wrangler. It is highly turbulent due to the blunt nose of the vehicle. A Jeep CJ/YJ/TK/JK simply plows through the air with blunt force, as does every other vehicle, since the aerodynamics for a daily driver cannot be made truly efficient [even Corvettes, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, etc.]

Race teams and vehicle designers learned in the 1960s that for a hood scoop induction system to work with any degree of efficiency, it has to be placed well above the hood and into the air flow stream [think snorkel hood], because the area not at the leading edge of the hood and above the sheet metal [for several inches or more, contingent upon vehicle design] is a low pressure area. This is well documented in wind tunnel testing.

Ram-air, cowl induction, shaker systems [as seen in 1960s and 1970s muscle cars and occasionally seen since] are all styling and do not add to vehicle performance.

Examples:

Poor design for efficiency. The intake is in the low pressure minima area.

Better design for efficiency. The intake is close to the maximal high pressure area at the front of the vehicle. Ideal would be at the leading edge of the vehicle.

An alternate method of getting an intake into the high pressure area. While it has some increased parasitic drag due to the increased frontal area, the intake is in an optimal area for intake efficiency.

Keep in mind that these systems work only when driven are increasingly higher speeds. At 40-50 MPH, they have no real increase in realized performance.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts

Laminar airflow over a vehicle hood doesn't really exist and especially in a Jeep Wrangler. It is highly turbulent due to the blunt nose of the vehicle. A Jeep CJ/YJ/TK/JK simply plows through the air with blunt force, as does every other vehicle, since the aerodynamics for a daily driver cannot be made truly efficient [even Corvettes, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, etc.]

Race teams and vehicle designers learned in the 1960s that for a hood scoop induction system to work with any degree of efficiency, it has to be placed well above the hood and into the air flow stream [think snorkel hood], because the area not at the leading edge of the hood and above the sheet metal [for several inches or more, contingent upon vehicle design] is a low pressure area. This is well documented in wind tunnel testing.

Ram-air, cowl induction, shaker systems [as seen in 1960s and 1970s muscle cars and occasionally seen since] are all styling and do not add to vehicle performance.

Examples:

Better design for efficiency. The intake is close to the maximal high pressure area at the front of the vehicle. Ideal would be at the leading edge of the vehicle.

An alternate method of getting an intake into the high pressure area. While it has some increased parasitic drag due to the increased frontal area, the intake is in an optimal area for intake efficiency.

Keep in mind that these systems work only when driven are increasingly higher speeds. At 40-50 MPH, they have no real increase in realized performance.
But they do look cool!

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
We are talking about a scoop for the HVAC intake, not a scoop for the engine intake. LOL

·
Registered
386 Posts

Examples:

never owned a car with a shaker hood did you? I made the hood scoop on a 70 torino functional and at 70mph and above that baby came ALIVE , yes they could be made to work.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
That was a terrible post especially since the mustang and camaro hoods were for show not performance. They are just stick on air vents 3m tape is crazy Ik so realistic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You know what is amusing? If these came stock from the factory, every one on here would be taking them off and proclaiming how nice the clean look is, lol. It's like girls with curly hair want straight hair and vice versa.

Just a general observation on human nature. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts