Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. This is my first jeep, so I'm a total jeep noob.. :) Was on a road trip this weekend, driving about 75ish ;) and was passed by an 18wheeler going the opposite way, and I guess the wind resistance was pretty good, that the hood kinda bounced some, almost like it wasn't locked, which obviously it was.. Is that normal for them to "bounce" like that.. :)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yeup, that's something that has happened with Wranglers for their entire existence. Always looks like it's coming up at you but it never does. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing happens when a big moving truck flies by... Just remember there are (2) side latches and a safety (on newer models) that will save you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same thing happens when a big moving truck flies by... Just remember there are (2) side latches and a safety (on newer models) that will save you.

That is good.. :) It was just kinda weird to see the hood bounce like that at almost 80mph :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just remember that the bounce is good, the complete opening is the bad thing. It has all the aerodynamics of a brick...

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I removed the spring that pops the hood up when you open it, helps a bit. it will flutter when I get hit by a massive gust still, but not as bad.

I just cant justify spending $100 on hood latches until I am sitting on tons.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I drove a TJ for a number of years and the hood vibrated like crazy at any speed above about 60mph. It made me nervous at first, but after a while I didn't even notice it anymore. The JK is much less wobbly, only seems to bounce around at very high speed and/or really heavy turbulence. No worries.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I drove a TJ for a number of years and the hood vibrated like crazy at any speed above about 60mph. It made me nervous at first, but after a while I didn't even notice it anymore. The JK is much less wobbly, only seems to bounce around at very high speed and/or really heavy turbulence. No worries.
in stock form the rake keeps it down, when you lift it and you lose that forward rake it will catch a bit more air

·
Registered
299 Posts
my jk is leveled and lifted but i have a grill insert and have never noticed hood wobble... maybe the insert is the reason for this

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Prior to the October posts....this thread had been dead for over 6 years.

:rip:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts