Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a hook on the front bumper and a D-ring on the back hitch. The hook is easier to hook on and off but the D-ring hangs on to the rope better.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
You can get a pair of aftermarket 10K lb. tow hooks and the required Grade 5 (Grade 8 is stronger/better) bolts which will be easier to install for less than the cost of equally strong D-rings. Worthy D-rings and their mounts are not inexpensive and their mounting requirements are more difficult/expensive to satisfy. For now, due to your budget, I'd go for the hooks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ive used both, and they'll both get you out, rings hold the rope better but take that extra second or two to open and close that hooks wont. which do you like better?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
either way you go... hook your strap up before you drive into a 5' mud hole. Saves a lot of hassle not having to tunnel through mud to get to recovery points. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
That should do the trick. Make sure to mount it in the strongest place possible. Then go get stuck and see if it works.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have a hook on the front bumper and a D-ring on the back hitch. The hook is easier to hook on and off but the D-ring hangs on to the rope better.

Or for the back hitch you could just insert the hitch pin throught the loop of the recovery strap.

·
Registered
723 Posts
either way you go... hook your strap up before you drive into a 5' mud hole. Saves a lot of hassle not having to tunnel through mud to get to recovery points. ;)
Sounds like you learned that lesson the hard way, just like I did! :rofl:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone have any other suggestions on what type of D-ring or Hook to buy? maybe a link? How do they mount to the front bumper? Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Anyone have any other suggestions on what type of D-ring or Hook to buy? maybe a link? How do they mount to the front bumper? Sorry for all the questions!
Do you have a tractor supply nearby? That's the cheapest place I've found. I heard Harbor Freight has them too. Just look for ones that are rated for 10k.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
Hooks don't mount to the bumper, their mounting bolts just pass through the bumper to the threaded part in the frame below. It is really the frame that they are mounted to.

Just go buy a pair of tow hooks at your local 4x4 shop & then go buy some 1/2"x16 Grade 8 bolts that are 1" longer than the T-55 bolts that currently hold your bumper to the frame they will replace. Remove the top OE T-55 bolts on the bumper, place the tow hook on top, pass the new Grade 8 bolts down through it & thread them into place. Tighten & you're done.

I say to go buy 1/2"x16 Grade 8 bolts because I haven't seen a tow hook kit yet that had the right bolts for a TJ in it. Grade 5 bolts will work too but Grade 8 is strongly recommended, they are stronger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts