Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks. I plan to set out for the San Juan's this year on 8/1 and be there until 8/7. I have reserved a spot at the Ouray KOA (https://koa.com/campgrounds/ouray/) and will be running trails everyday. If you'd like to join then I would suggest getting your reservations for hotel/camping asap since they get a little scarce as time gets closer. There is some dispersed camping here and there but not a ton of it.
This is a great time in years past and should be another great year!
Post up if your planning on coming along so we know who to look for.
I look forward to seeing y'all there.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Okay folks. I plan to set out for the San Juan's this year on 8/1 and be there until 8/7. I have reserved a spot at the Ouray KOA (https://koa.com/campgrounds/ouray/) and will be running trails everyday. If you'd like to join then I would suggest getting your reservations for hotel/camping asap since they get a little scarce as time gets closer. There is some dispersed camping here and there but not a ton of it.
This is a great time in years past and should be another great year!
Post up if your planning on coming along so we know who to look for.
I look forward to seeing y'all there.
I'll be there July 18th-27th, staying at the 4J+1 campground. Here's to hoping the passes open up earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I’d love to join but it’s too far a one day trip 😞

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be there July 18th-27th, staying at the 4J+1 campground. Here's to hoping the passes open up earlier this year.

Yeah, I pushed back a week from usual in hopes to avoid a last year. couldnt run a few like BB and Poughkeepsie. but who really knows. they have had pretty good snow this year already and haven't gotten into the snowy months yet. Hope you can get on them early this year

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure where your coming from but is is a long way for a day trip for most. When I was in Fruita it was a great day trip though. 6 hour drive now to get there.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Not sure where your coming from but is is a long way for a day trip for most. When I was in Fruita it was a great day trip though. 6 hour drive now to get there.
Denver. If I wasn’t taking time off for EJS and then a two week trip to Cali, I’d take a few days and come down.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

This will be our 8th year at 4j's Great little campground. We will be there the 5th-12. Would have been nice to meet a fellow member.

Reactions: Silentfoe

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Daymn...someday I will make this Hooray for Ouray trip. I love it there. I'm leaving for the Virgin Islands for two weeks just after this run is planned. I need more vacation time damn it!!! Someone give me 6 good numbers for Power Ball Lottery and I'll be there!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I got a spot at the KOA 8/1 through 8/4. I'll run trails Sunday, Monday, and possibly Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a spot at the KOA 8/1 through 8/4. I'll run trails Sunday, Monday, and possibly Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Nice!! I'll be in site #51

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice!! I'll be in site #51
I didn't notice site #'s on the reservation or my confirmation email so I called. She said I'm by the pond and that area is changing from the current map layout. I believe she said it would be site Pond C.

Are you running a trail on the 1st or just travel and set up?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll probably run something in the afternoon on the 1st. Set up is pretty quick for me these days. I'll probably start that way on the 31st and stay the night at the Blue Mesa

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'll be heading down Saturday morning. I could make an afternoon run if I leave early or I might take my time getting there. Not sure yet. Might depend on whether or not my wife goes. Set up for me is quick as well and easily done in the dark if needed.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I follow a FB group that started by one of the guys that clears the trails called San Juan Mountain Trail Group. The snow dried up after the early start. Michael, the guy that run the crew that clears the Silverton side posted that due to the lack of snow this year they expect everything to be open earlier than usual. Last year was an anomaly. And man was it deep! I had 18 feet at our cabin in Bayfield at 8k. Was a winter for the ages.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great to hear. Yes it was super deep last year. we went late July and they were still opening trails while we were there. never did open BB so we missed my favorite.

Reactions: dfwislander

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im thinkin about running Black Bear then Imogene on Saturday the 31st.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Man I love this area. We made it last year and did basically all trials but Blackbear pass since it wasn’t officially open when we were there. Guess I’ll just have to go back again this year - I hope that works out.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Im thinkin about running Black Bear then Imogene on Saturday the 31st.

Will they be open that early? If so, what a difference from last year.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts