Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply. I had surprise eye surgery to correct a detached retina a few weeks ago, and I've been out of commission for a while. I'll take a look at your diagrams when I have a bit more time and see what I can make of them, but if it's working on the bench, it should work in the Jeep.
Thanks for the reply!

I think the second diagram I posted will work but had another question. I'm having a problem getting the terminals to "lock" in position in the Bussmann box. I am also using some of the Metri-Pack 280 quick-disconnects and I don't have any issues with getting the terminals to lock in these. Is there some trick to getting the terminals to lock in-place in the Bussmann? I'm using the Metri-Pack 280 ISO female tangless variety. They slide in OK but anytime I plug-in a relay or fuse, the terminals get pushed out the other side.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am building one also and am using the Metri-pack 280 tangless connector with the Bussman. WHen I push the connector in it clicks into place. Once you hear that click it isn't coming out. Could it be because of orientation of the connector? Thats the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am building one also and am using the Metri-pack 280 tangless connector with the Bussman. WHen I push the connector in it clicks into place. Once you hear that click it isn't coming out. Could it be because of orientation of the connector? Thats the only thing I can think of.
I can't seem to get the terminal in far enough to get the "click". No problems with the quick-connectors, the terminals go in without any problems. With the Bussmann, I just can't seem to get it to work correctly. I ordered a new box on the off-chance the one I have is defective.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't seem to get the terminal in far enough to get the "click". No problems with the quick-connectors, the terminals go in without any problems. With the Bussmann, I just can't seem to get it to work correctly. I ordered a new box on the off-chance the one I have is defective.

Thank you for the help.
OK, found the problem. I had the wrong terminals for the Bussman box. Even though the package was labeled as Female Tangless - they were not. I now have the correct terminals and they snap in-place very easily.

Now I need to remove the terminal I was testing in the box. Before I order the wrong tool, can anyone recommend the correct tool for removing the tangless terminals from the Bussmann?

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the idea on the switch location. Finished mine today.

·
Registered
7 Posts

It is ridiculous how excited I am to see you did this! I'm gearing up to add lights to my 08 and haven't gotten a chance to really poke around to see where I'm going to place my switches. The only thing I knew was that I didn't want them above the window line. THIS IS PERFECT!

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just realized that I referenced some pictures that aren't from the OP. I can't tell for sure but x1buellist, is your Jeep a 2011+?

Hooz, have you figured out your mounting set up yet?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep it's a 2015 :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is ridiculous how excited I am to see you did this! I'm gearing up to add lights to my 08 and haven't gotten a chance to really poke around to see where I'm going to place my switches. The only thing I knew was that I didn't want them above the window line. THIS IS PERFECT!

Thank you!
I was the same. Didn't want them above the mirror but because my CB is there. The moment I saw the pics of this switch location I knew my search was over

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I just realized that I referenced some pictures that aren't from the OP. I can't tell for sure but x1buellist, is your Jeep a 2011+?

Hooz, have you figured out your mounting set up yet?
I just got cleared by my doctor on Friday to resume all normal activity. I had major eye surgery for a detached retina, and he didn't want me wrenching on or crawling around under my Jeep until things were sufficiently healed up... So I've had a lot of time to think about it. Now that I'm cleared for fun stuff again, finishing this project up is on the top of my to-do list. :D

To celebrate, I put in a set of Quadratec battery terminals yesterday while I was changing the plugs and wires in my JKU. It was a quick/easy/cheap "project", but it'll make hooking up my relay box that much easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got cleared by my doctor on Friday to resume all normal activity. I had major eye surgery for a detached retina, and he didn't want me wrenching on or crawling around under my Jeep until things were sufficiently healed up... So I've had a lot of time to think about it. Now that I'm cleared for fun stuff again, finishing this project up is on the top of my to-do list. :D

To celebrate, I put in a set of Quadratec battery terminals yesterday while I was changing the plugs and wires in my JKU. It was a quick/easy/cheap "project", but it'll make hooking up my relay box that much easier.
Cool, glad to hear you are able to get back at it!

I haven't popped the side panel off yet but I think I'll still be able to run some switches above the speaker. If the bigger rocker switches don't fit, maybe some small-ish round ones will fit. They just wont look as good as what x1buellist has set up!

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Commercial Member
612 Posts
Subbed!

Guess I know what I'm ordering.

I love this stuff, my job is all about controls and wiring. Love being neat.

Looking forward to following along.

Just a quick question, what are folks using tape wise that looks like OEM? That's one thing I've never been able to figure out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Also @Hooz I don't see a wire list of the quantity and color you've ordered?
I didn't make a list of wire, because the sky (and budget) is the limit. I bought 25' each of 10 different colors of 18ga (real automotive grade GXL wire) wire for the switch-to-relay runs and power/ground/illumination for the switches. If you're organized enough to label each wire and you can keep them all straight, you could get by with using all one color.

Since I'm using terminal blocks for my relay box outputs, I just used all red and black wire since I only have to keep them organized enough to hook them to the block once. ;)

I used wirebarn.com for all of my wiring purchases. 18ga for all things switch related, 14ga for relay related runs.

·
Commercial Member
612 Posts
I didn't make a list of wire, because the sky (and budget) is the limit. I bought 25' each of 10 different colors of 18ga (real automotive grade GXL wire) wire for the switch-to-relay runs and power/ground/illumination for the switches. If you're organized enough to label each wire and you can keep them all straight, you could get by with using all one color. Since I'm using terminal blocks for my relay box outputs, I just used all red and black wire since I only have to keep them organized enough to hook them to the block once. ;) I used wirebarn.com for all of my wiring purchases. 18ga for all things switch related, 14ga for relay related runs.
Honestly, I don't really have a budget in mind. For the sake of troubleshooting in the future, I'd go with different colors for different circuits.

This is one of those DIY's that I just "need" to do. Especially that I'm starting over with my 2015.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be ordering up some stuff today I guess. :)

Lastly, I went with lower independent OTRATTW switches, so only the words would be illuminated (green/red) when off, that would be my only difference.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but x1BUELLIST, where did you get these switches? This is exactly what Im looking for.e

41 - 60 of 122 Posts