Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 tj, with the window surrounds and full doors. I take the top off in the summer and keep it that way as long as possible, jeep is garage stored, and then put either a soft or hard top on for the winter.

Im looking for some type of reasonable summer time top that i could carry with me in the event of rain (normally dont drive the jeep when its threatening rain but ive gotten caught out before). I was going to put a tonneau cover on the back, what could i get to cover the cab? I have a smitty mesh shade with the front window channel already, ive been eyeing the extended bikini top as a possibility since i have the hardware but the reviews are mixed. Anybody run this setup? Any other recommendations? tia

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
i have the frameless bestop soft top. in the summer i remove all of the windows and have a deck cover for the bed. generally run with half doors and soft uppers and the soft uppers stay under the deck cover 90% of the time. I do have a windstopper that i keep in the back as well just in case i get caught in a storm

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
I also have the Bestop Trektop NX. With the three windows out and the Sunrider flipped back, it is almost topless. Flip the Sunrider closed and you have an extended Bikini top. Take the plastic reinforcements out of the rear of the two rear quarter windows and roll up the windows (with towels or soft cloths between them) stick the rear window corner reinforcements on the outside and bunge them into a bundle. Place the bundle in back.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Scotty - do you have a current soft top? And is it in good shape?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you seen the safari tops?
Scotty - do you have a current soft top? And is it in good shape?
ironhead, which safari top are you referring to? havent seen those that i can remember

hey rgreen I do have a factory soft top now that i was going to go to when the weather cools off. Ive toyed with the idea of just leaving it on the jeep all the time with the windows out and putting it up if the weather hits. Was hoping i could go with a tonneau cover and some type of emergency top but maybe they just dont make what im looking for

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
There are several types of Safari tops that are basically a straight top that attaches to the top of the windshield and then goes back over the top of the sport bar. The short version stops just after the sound bar (if it goes that far) and a longer version goes to the rear cross bar. It is tensioned with straps down to the edge of the tub. They are good for shade and may a light mist, but they offer no side protection and don't even connect to door surrounds as they don't use them.

I used to run a lot with the standard soft top in "stagecoach mode" in that I had the windows out (slipped between the front seats and the tumbled rear seat to keep them flat). As my factory top did not have the Sunrider feature which was an option, when I had the Jeep painted and found the frame was in real bad shape, I went with the Trektop NX as I said.

Yes, it's a new complete top. But with the windows out you only have the top stretching from the WS to the rear sport bar cross bar. There are no sail panels as it uses straps to the tub rear to tension the top, and has the Sunrider so when it is open you only have cover over the rear seat. I go that way on a lot of Jeep runs. If I need some shade, I simply flip the Sunrider closed. If I'm going to be a distance from home and the weather is iffy, I toss the rolled up windows in the back. But, yes, it is a complete new top, just no real frame to mess with. It has side bars attached to the header bar but they attach to the door surrounds.

I for one, will never go back to a standard top.

Another alternative some have gone with, but I was never willing to go with is a Bikini top as most require a windshield channel that is screwed into the top of the windshield frame. Then you can carry a tonneau cover with you along with a windjammer (installs vertically from the B pillar sport bar with a clear window in it). But, but the time you buy the full kit you are about half the cost of a Trektop NX without the benefits of full water proof enclosure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts