Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 89 wrangler and can not get the horn to work anyone have any suggestions ????I'm new to this JEEP thing but love every minute of it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
get a new horn or if you have a wire tester thing, test the wires and make sure their is power going to them

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have a 89 wrangler and can not get the horn to work anyone have any suggestions ????I'm new to this JEEP thing but love every minute of it.
What checking have you done? Just because you hit the center of the steering wheel does not mean you even have a horn. There has to be the center of the steering wheel with the spring tensioner in place, with the contact and wiring intact & have an actual noise maker in place under the hood. Check for all of that, then get back to us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in the wheel

I did check the wiring under the hood and the actual horn, that all works. The issue seems to be in the steering wheel somewhere. I had the wheel off and there was a spring on the right side with what appeared to be a contact, Then there was a spring loaded contact at the left upper portion of the colum.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did check the wiring under the hood and the actual horn, that all works. The issue seems to be in the steering wheel somewhere. I had the wheel off and there was a spring on the right side with what appeared to be a contact, Then there was a spring loaded contact at the left upper portion of the colum.
Apply twelve volts to the contact under the horn button (center of steering wheel) if you get no horn the problem is between there and the actual horn. It would be simple enough to run a new wire to a toggle or momentary switch in an easy to reach spot.:drool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
It would be simple enough to run a new wire to a toggle or momentary switch in an easy to reach spot.:drool:
I did that in an old Cutlass........ Put a sticker under the button that said "TURBO".........it kept passengers guessing ..:really:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts