Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out where my horn wires are. the PO must not have been able to fix it at one point and just wired in an aftermarket button on the bottom of the dash. is this the horn switch in the turn signal switch? I'm thinking about cutting the factory pigtail to the horn switch, and running new wires to the switch, then through a relay for the horn so I can get it working from the steering wheel again. anyone know which wires I should be looking for?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The horn switch is where all GM steering column switches are, inside the column under the horn pad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so from what I've read other places, the S10 column is virtually identical to the YJ? what are the differences if any?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The horn switch is where all GM steering column switches are, inside the column under the horn pad.
I don't know if I can trust a guy who uses a claw hammer on his Jeep. (@ 14:00)

#JustSaying

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
so from what I've read other places, the S10 column is virtually identical to the YJ? what are the differences if any?

It is a GM column but there were variations over the years. Early jeeps had splines on the end of the shaft some did not have splines but i think most of the switches interchange despite the small design changes. I think most of the differences have to do with if the column has a tilt wheel or not. I am also unsure of over all lengths of the shaft when comparing S10, XJ and YJ columns.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
Find a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a free link to several Factory Service manuals and a couple Factory Parts Manuals.
Open that link and click on the manual that you need for your year YJ. The schematics should be in the electrical troubleshooting section.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,910 Posts
Seth you didn't post what year you are working on, but I just put on a new wheel and pulled up the diagram for my '89. the hot wire (key on) is 14ga purple ignition switch going into the horn relay, 18 ga orange out of the relay into the turn signal connector, 18 black from the connector up the column, and 18 ga grey to the horn from the relay. 89 FSM pg 1891. Links for other years in the dropbox link below, the wiring is pretty consistent colors may have changed through the years though.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
sorry about that, its an 87, 4.2, Manual, non tilt, non cruise control

So is the grey wire technically a ground from the relay, going to the horn switch, and grounds out there to complete the circuit?
Yes.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts