Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed the horn was reluctant to work on occasion, now it stopped. suspect problem is in the column. Horn ok, Relay tested ok, before I buy a wheel puller and go further, is there a physical "switch" after I pull the wheel. I do notice a spring loaded button which seems to terminate under the wheel, with access only after pulling wheel. can not seem to find mention of a switch in the two repair manuals I have. Unless I missed something, testing points to the activation switch of the horn in the steering column.

I appreciate any help offered. even at 70 its a learning experience.

1995, Jeep Wrangler 2.5, standard.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
The little pin coming out of the column is grounded. Every time you push the horn button it is making ground contact. There is no other switch for the horn.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You can borrow a puller from auto zone or one the others, too. No need to buy one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manny thank you. what does that pin ground out on, i can push it in and no contact. is there something in there under the pin that needs cleaning to effect the circuit?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Manny thank you. what does that pin ground out on, i can push it in and no contact. is there something in there under the pin that needs cleaning to effect the circuit?
The Pin has a wire on the bottom and it is spring loaded, maybe it's broken. The wire connects to ground in the column.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
The spring loaded gizmo grounds to the steering wheel which in turn is grounded to the steering column.
Pull the steering wheel, clean everything up back to clean shiny metal. Even the bottom of the steering wheel where the button rides.
There's a brass disc that's held in place with 3 screws with plastic insulators. I don't remember if you see that after you remove the horn button or if you see it after you pull the steering wheel. That disc has to be put back in it's original position.
Sometimes the wire inside the spring gizmo breaks and you have to get one at your local auto parts store. Check out the Dorman or Help displays.

It's not difficult to do, just make sure everything makes good electrical contact and assemble with a dab of dielectric grease.

BTW, a wheel puller is an inexpensive tool and real handy to have for a variety of jobs.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No need to pull the wheel. Pull your horn cover, you will see 3 screws. Those 3 screws hold the round horn actuator, a plastic insulator and finally the "spring". A circular spring that when depressed, completes the circuit.

For illustration purpose only: HERE

Clean up the spring plate, etc and reassemble.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
No need to pull the wheel. Pull your horn cover, you will see 3 screws. Those 3 screws hold the round horn actuator, a plastic insulator and finally the "spring". A circular spring that when depressed, completes the circuit.

For illustration purpose only: HERE

Clean up the spring plate, etc and reassemble.
That "spring" in there is for the horn button. If you have no contact to ground from the pin, the horn button will not complete the circuit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts