Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at work now and happened to glance over at a coworker's monitor and it said that the Jeep Wrangler was the "Bottom of the barrel" and got a 17 out of 100. They listed pretty much everything imaginable. Don't have a link but I'll try to find it unless someone beats me to it. Won't have time today though.

·
Ugly Supporting Member
1,546 Posts
Who cares? I love my Wrangler and I know that it will work well for me. Stupid reporters get most stuff wrong.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
They had a thread on this a few days back. The problem with these ratings is that many have a huge bias but the biggest problem for the wrangler is that it isn't made as much for comfort as for fun. And these ratings take all the frills and comfort as a major ranking. They worry more about on the road comfort then 4 wheeling fun with the top off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
it's comparing apples and oranges. Depending on what you want the vehicle for, sometimes the Dodge Caravan IS the best choice. I use mine as a DD and wouldn't change it for the world and I suspect I am not alone as I even have co-workers come in to borrow it when I am on shift !!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
One of the telling signs about what people think of their cars is what they do with them eventually. How long do they keep them? What shape are they in when they are done with them? What kind of work was accomplished with it? What value did it return when it was sold? How capable was it when you owned it?

A lot of these rating systems seem to only take into consideration the cost of ownership of new vehicles and people's satisfaction with new vehicles. The funny thing about a jeep is that because of it's rough and tumble characteristics, it doesn't do well as a luxury vehicle and so people give it poor ratings. That type of owner will simply sell it and move on to something "more comfy". But just think of the joy of the second owner who didn't have to pay new price for a perfectly capable jeep! The most drastic depreciation occurs when the jeep (or any car) is driven off of the dealer's lot. I'd say let them keep the ratings low and keep the secondary owners happy. It is definitely a jeep thing and many in the general public will never get it. Let the jeep culture continue. The market will adjust itself based on the whole, not the individual stories. It is the nature of all markets. Folks on jeep forums are part of that market...we help to sell the product even to unsuspecting people who don't get it. That is how new toys are introduced into the market and make for the happiness of others. That is life in the jeep world....it just is.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
That is life in the jeep world....it just is.

Well said, funny how the ratings are poor, but the resale value of a Wrangler is higher than any other domestic vehicle I know of.

·
Registered
390 Posts
They had a thread on this a few days back. The problem with these ratings is that many have a huge bias but the biggest problem for the wrangler is that it isn't made as much for comfort as for fun. And these ratings take all the frills and comfort as a major ranking. They worry more about on the road comfort then 4 wheeling fun with the top off.
Totally agree with you, all of these auto review guides and magazines "except for the off-road magizines" are very biased against the offroad community. If it was up to them, we would all be driving smart cars...total B.S. :banghead::banghead:

:blunt: SLIM_SNOOPY :blunt:

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
:wavey: I read a survey something like that about a month ago. In the end it said that in spite of all this, the Jeep Wrangler is one of the Greenest emission vehicles in America. Didn't make much sense, but that's what it said.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It's like any other "study" your first question should be "Who paid for it?" That question usually explains the outcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey JK owners!

I've got a bit of an issue that I would appreciate some guidance with. My 2008 Rubicon Unlimited developed a leaking passenger side axle seal which was fixed under warranty by a local dealership at the end of August 2008. I recently visited the same dealership for a transmission sensor recall issue and some electrical issues. I was also experiencing the death wobble and sure enough, the axle seal leak had returned. Due to the fact that the warranty on the part had expired a month prior, the dealership concluded that I would have to pay for the repair. Their first quote was $400 which then went to $860.00 after a complete estimate. During their testing, they accidently fried my fuse box ECU and had to replace it on their tab.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I'm electing to get my axle seal fixed at another shop for way less money, $250, but I'm wondering if there is a better seal that can be used. I am seeing that this is a common issue and I would understand it if we had lift kits and larger tires but to date, we are basically stock.

Anyone care to give me some insight?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I consider the Wrangler sort of a niche vehicle. Just like the M3 I currently drive. Just like the Mitsubishi Evolution, Nissan GTR, WRX STi etc. These vehicles are purpose built so to speak and only a select few would buy them for that "extra" something that separates it from the rest of the lineup. There will be compromises in any vehicle that's geared towards any extreme.

My car for example is handles like it's on rails. 0-60 in 4.5 secs (maybe less). When the road gets rough I come to almost a complete stop to navigate the bumps. 19" low profile wheels doesn't like bumps. The stiff suspension feels like you'd break something on it. Same for the Evo's, STi's and the like. You can get a regular Lancer or WRX or in my case the 328 which are more forgiving but they also give up that "extra" special something that makes them coveted by us here. To think that these morons are complaining about the stock Wranglers and we raise them, put bigger noisy tires on them and change pretty much any and everything on them. I wonder how would they rate a modded Wrangler?

I hate when people try to compare vehicles out of the vehicles element. They are trying to rate the Wrangler based on luxury. That's not it's design/marketing strategy. It's an off-road vehicle, not a minivan. Rate it's off-road ability. We get this all the time in the M3 vs 335 debates. The 335 guys will say "well you can get a 335 and mod it to beat an M3 all day long for way less money". Is it fair to compare a stock car vs a modded car? In that case you can make a Chevy Aveo beat anything on the road with the right tuning. Ugh!!! Rant over.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Totally agree with you, all of these auto review guides and magazines "except for the off-road magizines" are very biased against the offroad community. If it was up to them, we would all be driving smart cars...total B.S. :banghead::banghead:

:blunt: SLIM_SNOOPY :blunt:
Interestingly enough, both the LA Times and NY Times gave high marks to the '10 Wrangler Unlimited. Consumer's Report and Consumer's Union subscribers aren't in the Jeep demographics, therefore their tests automatically excude the features that appeal to Wrangler owners.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
The CR thread was more fun...

·
Registered
140 Posts
DOMINUS said:
I consider the Wrangler sort of a niche vehicle. Just like the M3 I currently drive. Just like the Mitsubishi Evolution, Nissan GTR, WRX STi etc. These vehicles are purpose built so to speak and only a select few would buy them for that "extra" something that separates it from the rest of the lineup. There will be compromises in any vehicle that's geared towards any extreme.

My car for example is handles like it's on rails. 0-60 in 4.5 secs (maybe less). When the road gets rough I come to almost a complete stop to navigate the bumps. 19" low profile wheels doesn't like bumps. The stiff suspension feels like you'd break something on it. Same for the Evo's, STi's and the like. You can get a regular Lancer or WRX or in my case the 328 which are more forgiving but they also give up that "extra" special something that makes them coveted by us here. To think that these morons are complaining about the stock Wranglers and we raise them, put bigger noisy tires on them and change pretty much any and everything on them. I wonder how would they rate a modded Wrangler?

I hate when people try to compare vehicles out of the vehicles element. They are trying to rate the Wrangler based on luxury. That's not it's design/marketing strategy. It's an off-road vehicle, not a minivan. Rate it's off-road ability. We get this all the time in the M3 vs 335 debates. The 335 guys will say "well you can get a 335 and mod it to beat an M3 all day long for way less money". Is it fair to compare a stock car vs a modded car? In that case you can make a Chevy Aveo beat anything on the road with the right tuning. Ugh!!! Rant over.
MOD EDIT: Nothing important was said here.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
We try to keep it friendly around here.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hdman1216 said:
Who gives a shit what you drive OR think. And, by the way, your M3 won't do 4.5 sec. Unless you have a chip. My wife has one and it is a girly car around here.
Hey buddy the V8 M3 like what I have will do 4.5 and better. Check your facts. Anyway this is not an M3 forum so that's as much as I'd say on that car. I was just drawing a comparison. It doesn't matter what I drive anyway. Your opinions are just as good as mine. If you have something against M3's or BMW that's perfectly fine. The M3 is by no means a girly car though.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks jk'n and I agree with your post.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Run away from the JK because people rate them very poorly. Of course, these same people have never driven them at all, or never for the purpose for which they were designed and usually compare them to the latest sedan. So go ahead and take their advice...avoid this vehicle! More trail room for the rest of us:flipoff:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts